Wednesday, July 8, 2020

New Potatoes



Good morning from Hickery Holler. The sun is shining and the birds are singing this morning. Even if they are singing from the gooseberry bushes. With 8 bushes I planted enough for us all. We plant potatoes every year almost without fail around St. Patrick's day. And pretty well every year by mid to late June we are starting to dig potatoes.  Some are planted in boxes, some are planted in rows and some are just tucked here and there among the beds This week we dug the small Red Pontiac potatoes because my favorite way to store them is to store them in jars canned. Later I will dehydrate them as hash browns, eat some fresh and store the rest. But for now I am canning new potatoes for throughout the year.


I can a couple cookings of these small potatoes every year. You can find a link to a tutorial on how to do it on my canning recipes tab. Some people do not like the taste of canned potatoes because it does change the texture and taste of the potato some. To quote my mama " You get hungry enough you'll eat them!" 



We love them just cooked in a skillet with a little olive oil in the oven. You can also cook them in butter on top of the stove with a little garlic salt and some parsley and a dab of parmesan cheese. 

Just one more staple to add to my pantry every year.

And with the state of the grocery stores these days I am busy squirreling back all the staples I can cram in my little house. 

I will remind you all to stay safe and you can find me over at


on and off throughout the day. .



Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter


6 comments:

  1. Have you ever canned them with the skin on? I'm curious what the texture would be.

    Fern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not Fern. I am always afraid I will end up with soil in one of the little eyes or something that would make it spoil. How paranoid am I !

      Delete
  2. We love canned potatoes, I had not done them for years and did last year. Kids and grandkids think they are great. I grew up on an island in SE Alaska and we always bought canned potatoes by the case, so I grew up with them. I am with you, put up and store what ever you can, who knows what will happen in the future. I have canned them with skins on, just scrubbed them well and they were great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really! I have always taken the skins off. That was the way mama did it so I just did it the same way. I know many people are canning lots this year. I always have yearly so it is old hat to me but I just really am uneasy about the future so I will fill my little squirrel hole with nuts.

      Delete
  3. My Gardener Guy dug a few potatoes yesterday I cooked them in a pot of fresh green beans with bacon, garden onion and garlic. Oh, yum! Didn't get the potatoes out until after mid April as this is a wet year again. We are having sautéed young kale, a little skillet of last year's okra mixed with a yellow squash and onion fried in a little canola oil and a tuna pasta salad. Can't beat fresh food from the home garden!! Saw your forum. Maybe will have time to read it tomorrow after canning green beans!! Garden on!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garden on indeed! Dinner sounds loely, I am taking tomorrow off and will be out of town. I need a garden break. Good luck with your green beans.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails