Friday, June 7, 2013

A New Find


Gypsy and Riley ( the scottie dogs) found a new friend in one of the sheds. We heard an awful barking and found they had cornered a black snake up on one of the shelves. 


See that green flower pot hanging there? It has a sparrow nest in it and the snake thought it looked like a good meal. Poor snake had mama bird dive bombing it and two yappy dogs underneath. This snake has to be a good six foot long. 

Snakes are great for rodent control and as long as it doesn't raid the baby chick brooder or the rabbit hutches we will let it continue to live in the sheds. Hope the puppies get bored of barking at it.

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

10 comments:

  1. we keep the those snakes around too-they are excellent rodent control-I haven't seen one yet this spring

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hickery Holler Farm" has been included in the Sites To See for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2013/06/sites-to-see.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Is that a rat snake by chance? While I know they're good to have around, the looks of them give me the willies. A couple years ago, we saw a huge one basking in the sun on one of our hay bales:-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here they call them black snakes but it does remind me of a rat snake. Great rodent control but they can certainly frighten the bejeesus out of you on a dark night.

      Delete
  4. CQ,

    I don't care for snakes. I will leave them alone as long as there not in my vegetable garden. We have plenty of copperheads to watch out for here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I know that snakes are good for rodent control, I really think that they are ugly and give me the creeps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came over here from Jerry's place. I love it. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh! Creepy! Snakes I know are helpful but we don't deal well together LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate snakes, so you would have heard me screaming all the way up in Missouri if that was in our shed or even on the property and I saw it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rodents scare me, but snakes scare me even more. i don't even like reading this post!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails