Friday, August 19, 2011

Lovin From The Oven



What a storm we had last night! Luckily we didn't get the high winds that so much of the area did. We did however get rain. Since everything was soggy outside I spent the day inside with Baby O. It was her first day of home school and I wanted to fix her something special for breakfast as well as something that I could make extra of and freeze for breakfasts later next week.  Waffles was her choice. Many times I make large batches of pancakes or waffles and freeze them. She can take them out and microwave for breakfast or even a snack when things are busy.  


Buttermilk, Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Waffles

4 large eggs
Pinch cream of tartar
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons melted butter
1 cup unbleached flour
4 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form

In a separate bowl whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter.

In another  large bowl sift together flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Add egg yolk mixture to flour mixture and mix just till incorporated. Fold whipped egg whites into the batter gently. 

Ladle batter onto hot waffle iron and cook until brown.

Yields approximately 10 waffles.

***********************************************************


I served these hot with butter and homemade apple syrup. The house smelled delightful and I froze 8 waffles for later. 


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter  

2 comments:

  1. MMmmmmmmmmmm! Andrew had waffles for breakfast, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great. Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails