Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Bean Therapy.



We woke up this morning to the sound of raindrops hitting the tin roof. It was so hard to get out of bed after a weekend of farm work. The hay is up thank the lord and O Wise One picked two rows of red beans yesterday evening. We spent most of the weekend mowing, pruning, weed eating and weeding. Twelve hours straight on Saturday and most of Sunday afternoon.  The flower beds had started to look absolutely ratty after the hot dry month of  July so many of the plants were cut back, deadheaded and mulched in preparation for winter.  We have two beds to go. We spent ten hours on Monday just on yard work.


We both woke up this morning hardly able to move. I have sore muscles where I didn't even know I had muscles. But the good lord in his infinite wisdom gave us rain to rest today. So I spent the morning in my easy chair listening to the distant rumble of thunder. Watching the rain run down the window panes and the soft sound of rain hitting the roof. It was so relaxing just sitting there shelling beans and listening to the ping of beans hitting the bottom of the dishpan. Baby Hank ran around on his chubby little toddler legs still trying to master this walking thing. I put my gospel music on and was serenaded by the Gaithers most of the morning. It was wonderful. I shall call it bean therapy. Surely shelling beans is good for the soul, or mine anyway as I shelled and watched my grandson and thanked God for all my many blessings. For getting the hay up and a bountiful garden and a healthy grandson  and most of all that three inches of rain we got today. And that wonderful little tube of Ben Gay especially!

 The earth is refreshed and I am thankful. My world is again green for a little longer anyway. I know that I still have four more rows of beans to pick and shell but for today the beans are done and blanched and in the freezer. We had bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches for supper which will make for an early night. Tomorrow is another day.

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

4 comments:

  1. Wow no wonder you are so sore. But that must be a load off of your mind to have all of that work done. So glad you got to rest today, well a little. Love the pictures of the beans beautiful! Hugs, Bobbi Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like some good gospel music too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sound like you had a the best of both worlds rain, and beans! Little blessing are the best!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails