Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Everybody is Irish today!

    ~Happy St. Patrick's Day~

Today is St. Patrick's Day and everyone is Irish today. But for some people like O Wise One they are Irish everyday. You see his grandfather was the first to be born in this country. They are Ulster Scotts Irish. The house above is Whiterock House. Built in the 1700's originally and then rebuilt in 1814 by his great great grandfather Alexander McCann. It is in Killinchy, County Down, Northern Ireland. It is owned by his cousin Heather and her husband Jeff and still remains in the McCann family. Heather is descended from Alexander's son John. O Wise One is descended from Alexander's daughter Elanor. Who immigrated with her husband Bill McKee during the famine. They didn't take much to starving.  They left behind 3 grown daughters all married and brought 2 daughters and a young son (his great grandfather) across the ocean to America.  Most of his family is buried here at the Killinchy Presbyterian Church. Dating back to the 1700's.  Saint Patrick's  burial place is t Down Cathedral also in County Down. 




Whiterock sits on the banks of the Strongford Lough.



So especially from our family we hope you have a happy St. Patrick's day.






Blessings from the Holler

The Canned Quilter







3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story and a beautiful home!!!! I want that house!!!

    Happy St Patrick's Day to all of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you all too!

    My great grandfather McGrath was the first generation born in America on my mother's side of the family. His family also immigrated during the famine. I guess that twas a good time to be leavin' Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca I agree about the house! Isn't that pretty: )

    Brenda I'm not much on starving either so I'm with you on the leaving of Ireland thing...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails