Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cajun Gumbo


Having grown up in Southern Louisiana it didn't take me long to realize that it is different than growing up in any other part of the United States. Much of what one thinks of when they hear of Louisiana comes from the southern part of the state. New Orleans, Cajuns, sugarcane fields, swamps and bayous.  I grew up eating gumbo all my life . Gumbo is an African word for okra an ingredient found in most gumbos. Like most Louisiana recipes it starts with a roux. Which is a mixture of fat and flour browned in a heavy bottomed pot until brown and then adding vegetables, stock and a mixture of meats. Today I am making a sausage and shrimp gumbo.
I start out with a large iron pot. I use a magnalite pot or large cast iron pot depending on the size of my gumbo. I love my magnalite and have had them for over 30 years. First I add half a cup oil to my pot and then 3/4 cup of all purpose flour and stir over low to medium heat. This will take from 1/2 hour to 45 minutes stirring almost constantly. This is called making a ROUX ( PRONOUNCED REW).  Most french soups, gravies and sauces start with a roux. 


Cook and continue stirring until it turns the color of a copper penny. It is hard to tell the color by this picture because of the light above the stove. Do not burn if you think it is burned throw it out. Start over. 
Add 1 onion chopped, 1/4 cup green peppers, 1/4 cup celery, and 2 Tblsp minced garlic. Saute until onion is clear. 


Add 4 cups chicken stock or seafood stock. Below are frozen blocks of chicken stock that I make homemade and freeze in 2 cup plastic bowls and then put in bags to freeze. Each block is 2 cups. Easy to pop in microwave and melt to throw in pot.



I also added a quart of home canned stewed tomatoes and okra, and 1/2 pound of sliced smoked sausage. If you can find a Louisiana sausage called andouille it is wonderful for this.  1 bay leaf and a drop of liquid seafood boil, a drop or two of hot sauce
and a tsp. of Tony Chacheres cajun seasoning.






Simmer on low for about 3 hours or longer. Stirring occasionally.





Remove Bay leaf and add peeled and deveined shrimp. Cook for about 15 minutes or until shrimp turn pinkishin color. Do not over cook or you will make shrimp tough.


Start a pot of white rice to go with it.



Serve warm over a bowl of fluffy white rice with crusty french bread.






A  votre sante
(To your good health)

Blessings from the Holler

The Canned Quilter

1 comment:

  1. Just calling in to thank you for following my blog! It`s good to meet you.

    I look forward to browsing through your two blogs.
    With best wishes, Dartford Wabler

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails