Thursday, November 11, 2021

Tis The Season



I cannot begin to describe to you the absolute beauty of Tennessee in the fall of the year. Mother nature has been generous with her paint brush leaving behind a breathtaking  view of her splendor. We have taken several long leisurely Sunday drives through the mountains and hollers of the area to partake of her glory. 



While the frost has made it's way here to my corner of Appalachia responsibilities have really not slowed down. Instead of concentrating on harvests the emphasis has now moved to preparation for the next harvest and reaping the benefits of the end of the season. It is not yet rocking chair and quilt frame time for me. With a huge amount of leaves falling we take advantage of the opportunity to add fertility to our beds and gardens by mowing and saving all those leaves. We mow them up and bag them and mulch many of the beds with them adding to the fertility of the soil. As I trim back plants and bushes damaged by those first frosts they become additions to the leaves and compost piles are popping up everywhere on the property. The prunings, clippings and refuse of the season becoming a blessing for the gardens to come. 

The compost that I made all summer is being applied around the bottoms of the berry bushes, beds and trees to add that fertility back to the soil. 

I continue to frolic with the ducks daily as they help with the gardening. My duck in a pocket Tiddly Winks meets me at the back door every day. She continues to think that she can sit on my shoulder and ride in my pocket but has grown to be a beautiful young hen but never far from her mama CQ. I miss the fuzzy little duckling riding in my pocket though. O Wise One and I continue to be amazed that she survived her injuries but her personality is wonderful.  Angel, Thelma, and Tassy are not as amused with her antics.  She is always the first one up and the last one to roost and quacks constantly. I think if the other three had their way she would be expelled from the duck house. But they are not mean to her for after all she is one of the flock and she is theirs in all her glory! Unlike the mean girls in the henhouse. 


I continue to sit every night and pick out walnuts and am up to 20 pounds of walnuts in 2 cup increments picked out, roasted and vacuum sealed in bags and put in the freezer. This is my last harvest for the year from my land.  
 

And old friends have returned to the house and are really starting to put on a show. Happy to again be safe and protected during the harsh winter months nestled in among the house. 


So as ever we remain exceedingly busy despite the cooler weather and still looking forward to a time when the weather drives us indoors to the quilt frame again and dreams of next year's gardens and new escapades. Of new plants to covet and new projects to build. We look forward to Thanksgiving and the visits from our children and grandchildren. I am up to 7 now and each more precious than the last. 

So that is my update and hope you all are also enjoying the season. 

Ever thankful for our continued good health, the bounty and blessing bestowed upon us and for all of you our friends and visitors. 

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

*********************************************************

I can also be found at 



10 comments:

  1. Thank you for the picture of your beautiful fall colors. We have the gold of the Aspens here in Utah mountains and some maples that have been planted. But being a high desert, we don't have a lot of the beautiful trees you have. So I enjoy pictures of the beautiful fall colors in other areas of our country. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always enjoyable to hear what you are up to. I'm still trying to catch up with the mowing. I'm still cleaning up the garden beds. We have a cold front coming in after some gorgeous days. I was hoping for a few more lovely days. Oh well...lots to do inside, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. We had several lovely days to catch up on mowing and gardening but starting today the temperatures are going to be much less friendly for several days.

      Delete
  4. Might I ask what kind of soul do you have your Christmas cactus planted in? I have no luck with it here in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Just plain old miracle Grow potting soil. I water them very lightly every sunday religiously, fertilize them with miracle grow twice a year. Late summer and early spring. Other than that they get no special treatment. I do repot about every 3 years. They sit out in the shade on my back deck all summer and I move them in before frost. They will go back out in April.

      Delete
  6. Fall in Tennessee is glorious! The trees outside of my classroom are a brilliant red right now. It's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails