Thursday, October 28, 2021

Dehydrating Blueberries

 This year was a bumper year for blueberries and my freezer is exploding with fruit. And I still have a few bags from last year. So now that the weather has turned cool and the gardening is slowing down somewhat it is time to address the fruit in the freezer. I made some liqueurs and they are aging right now in a dark cupboard. I dehydrated figs and the walnuts despite being roasted will go into the freezer in vacuum bags. So I started dehydrating blueberries to free up some space. 



It is really rather easy. If these blueberries were fresh off the bush I would have to put them in boiling water and blanch to pop that outer skin. This allows the heat to reach the inner heart of the berry. Since my berries are frozen once I put them on the dehydrator rack and that is it. I set my dehydrator to about 135 and 13 to 15 hours later they look like little blue raisins. 


Once my blue raisins are done I will put them in a jar for a bit and watch them for any moisture beads collecting in the jar. If that happens I add them back to dehydrator and dry some more. If no moisture then I can vacuum pack them to go back in the freezer or store in jars with oxygen absorbers or more than likely I will store mine in mylar bags and store them in a food grade bucket with other dried fruits. 

If my grandkids find these they won't last long. 



Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

*****************************************

I can also be found at 



2 comments:

  1. I would love to know some of the things you do with these dehydrated blueberries besides apparently eating them like candy! I have several large bags of them that have been given to me from food pantry rejects and I am not sure what to do with them. I do not turn away food people want to give our large family- especially these days. But I need some inspiration with these things. Do you rehydrate them before putting in things like scones or lemon bread? Probably so with pies, right? Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other than eating them like candy they would have to be rehydrated for baking projects so as not to pull the moisture out of the recipe. I make refrigerator oatmeal and add oats, cinnamon, dried blueberries, chia seeds and maple syrup then pour over almond milk. I make them 4 at a time one for me every morning and one for the hubs. That oatmeal helps with the cholesterol numbers. Lol

    I also make trail mixes with my dried walnuts and an oats based honey granola. Add raisins, dried figs or dried blueberries or cranberries for additional vitamins.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails