Friday, October 2, 2020

October Surprises


October is here and not sure where September went. I celebrated another birthday on the 20th. All the love was nice.

We have already had temperatures the last night or so dipping down into the high thirties. With a nip in the air it is looking like a possibility of an early frost. The leaves are turning now and beginning to fall around the house and the hickory nuts are all over the back yard. The squirrels are busier than ever taking advantage of the harvest.  I have been venturing out daily to pick a few figs and eating them right off the tree but looks like the bulk of the crop will not have time to ripen. There is always next year. Severe winter temperatures last winter killed them all the way back down to the ground and they had to recover from that before they could ripen fruit. Even packing in straw and wrapping did not help. 

Dessert last night was watermelon. We continue to pick a few things but most are gone now. Still a few plum tomatoes and some shell beans drying out there. Okra is just about done. 

O Wise One went and picked me some pears the other day and I canned 18 pints canned pears in a light syrup. I think next is apple sauce. 



And of course in 2020 my elderberry are blooming AGAIN in October. I have been picking the flowers at the suggestion of Sonic over on the forum and freezing to use in baked goods with gooseberries. She says the combo is really good. I will let you know. 

I continue to top off my pantry regularly because I am unsure of how this winter will go and I continue to can what I can find locally.  I will say I am ready to see the end of 2020 and all that comes with it. Maybe we can get a new start on a new year. 

My pantry and stores continue to increase but soon I will just stop and call it a year. 

I found this canning poem on facebook and thought I would share. 

Canning Time

The cucumber is dilled. 
The chili is chilled. 
The canning is done for the season.
By the stove I have toiled
The jars have been boiled.
Good food from the garden's the reason. 

It's a comforting feeling, 
When I hear the jars sealing, 
And each jar is filled to the top.
That sound makes me smile.
Says, It's all been worthwhile.
When I hear all those sealer lids Pop.

All that peeling and chopping,
and constant brow mopping. 
Hard work is all part of the bargain.
There's no time to be bored, 
And I thank the Dear Lord,
For each blessing that comes from our garden. 

Cause when winter comes calling,
And the North winds are squalling,
And we suffer from lack of the sun.
There'll be no lack of food,
To darken our mood.
Cause in August the canning was done.

By Joann vanDam Lucknow

I hope everyone is safe and healthy and enjoying the beautiful fall weather. 


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter


16 comments:

  1. So glad to hear from you, your are indeed blessed with such bounty in your garden. I am still doing a little canning and drying. Tomatoes everywhere ! Will pick the green ones today and put them in the cold storage room. Thanks for the poem, it so describes a canners life. We are having lovely fall weather, but the cold is coming in a week or so. Today my helper and I will put the garden to bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are still working on ours some. Repairs and such on the raised beds. Adding compost. Still have a couple boxes of beans that I am waiting to dry a bit more. Almost there. Lots of leaves starting to fall so building some compost piles too.

      Delete
  2. Still getting plenty of okra and the pepper plants are loaded. Tomaotoes are finally slowing down. I thought the squash would never end and I guess it hasn't as my Gardener Guy brought in a zucchini and a Patty pan this morning. I've been using my Ninja chopper on them. Doesn't mush it up and it's nice to freeze in three cup packages. Makes for good casseroles and squash breads. So good to see your post today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to see your new post. The poem is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought of you, we had tomato gravy tonight for supper. It was so good! What a perfect poem. Thanks for sharing. I am down to some cherry tomatoes and banana peppers. It was a good year in the garden. But I do hope that 2021 is a better year for us all and this virus goes away, never to be seen again!

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daddy's tomato gravy. Haven't had any in awhile does sound good on a cool fall evening doesn't it. We had a good year too. Alost too good as I did not think it would ever end. From your mouth to God's ears on that virus! 2021 has to get better!

      Delete
  5. Happy belated birthday! I am working on getting our pantry topped off too. It has helped a lot since the pandemic/lockdowns started but that has left a lot of holes. Here's to hoping 2021 is much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely second that! Hope all of us have a blessed 2021 !

      Delete
  6. I so enjoy your blog! You are a bright spot in a crazy social media world. From, A wannabe gardener

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mom said my sis in laws pickled okra turned out really good.
    Happy Birthday. Mine was on the 15th ...62 here.
    Gwynette..good to know pattypan will freeze for casserole use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great that the okra turned out. Thanks for the birthday tidings and happy belated to you as well. My brother's birthday was on the 15th as well. We lost him several years ago. Have a blessed day. Hugs CQ

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We moved mid-summer so we had to leave our garden behind, and never got one started in our new house. I would love to see a post on the compost piles you built! We are in a subdivision now, so I want my husband to build some compost piles that don't look like compost piles. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails