Monday, August 3, 2020

New Ball Lids



ALERT


I want everyone to beware that Ball has changed their lids yet again. The new lids are not to be simmered on the stove and require no pretreatment of any kind other than maybe washing. I am also hearing lots of complaints about them not staying sealed. Even though they may seal at first they are coming unsealed weeks and months down the road.   


According to the Ball site these are the new instructions. 


Wash jars, lids and bands in hot soapy water. Rinse well. Dry lids and bands; set aside. Jars must be preheated and kept hot until they are used. To preheat jars, completely submerge them in water that has been brought to a simmer (about 180°F). They should remain at this temperature until they are used, removing one at a time as needed. If jars are used for any recipe that is processed less than 10 minutes, the jar must be sterilized. To sterilize jars, submerge jars in water and boil 10 minutes. (For altitudes higher than 1,000 feet above seal level, refer to Canning Basics.) Allow sterilized jars to remain at a simmering temperature until they are used.





On a more personal note I am hip deep. With nightly rainstorms we have had to pick the beans that have been beat down by torrential wind and rainfall. I have buckets of both shell and snap beans that must be tended to immediately. On top of cucumbers to pickles and squash and okra in the freezer. Dehydrator full of onions. Translation....Hip deep!  

"Know also friend that we live a life of labor, therefore, if at times we separate ourselves from thee, do ye occupy thyselves according to thine heart's desire."


See ya on the other side.

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter





2 comments:

  1. God bless you and aid you in your efforts, CQ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed the last batch of jars I got didn't have the guarantee of 18 months on them.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails