Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Potatoes


I finally got done with the red potatoes. We picked over 6 five gallon buckets off one row. These are the variety " Red Pontiac".


Everything from new potato size to the size of a tennis ball went into jars. I stopped at 40 quart jars. We saved the biggest ones and O Wise One has been slicing them and coating with olive oil and roasting on the grill. Lots of big ones left some reaching as big as 2 pounds each. These two are sitting on a nine inch dinner plate. What a difference abundant rain in the spring makes as long as it is not too much!  

We did not mulch these with straw as usual because of the rain but rather left off the straw and hilled them with soil because the straw holds moisture and we were afraid they would rot. No straw equaled more weeds though !



They were wonderful and firm and canned beautifully. Not one jar out of 40 did not seal. We have not dug the white "Kennebec" variety yet. 


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

7 comments:

  1. I'm curious what all you can used canned potatoes for. I would love to be able to can some, but we didn't even plant any this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use my canned potatoes in stews, with roasts, and love them for fried potatoes too

      Delete
    2. They are great on the grill. My husband rubs them with olive oil and roasts them on the grill or I melt a little butter in a skillet and drain the potatoes and put them in the melted butter and coat then put them in the oven and roast until they start to brown a little on the edges stirring them from time to time to keep them from sticking.

      Delete
  2. I have potato envy! I love the idea of canning potatoes and being able to open a jar whenever I want to use some, instead of having them and needing to peel or whatever else they might need before they are eaten each time. I read a blog of someone's who uses her canned potatoes for mashed potatoes. They just have to be heated up and mashed after opening the jar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done that and they are also great in soupp, stews and with roasts. Also great to cook them on the stove top with a little butter, granulated garlic and parsley and then when heated through sprinkle with p[Parmesan cheese.

      Delete
    2. I like that Rita - I have some, but won't be ready for a while. I too have spud envy.

      Delete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails