Thursday, August 21, 2014

Mid August In The Holler


The weeks go by quickly and another Autumn is here already. We are starting to see the first leaves turn and fall. School is starting and the canning is slowing down somewhat.


The grapes were loaded this year and the grape juice is tucked safely in the pantry now. We shared some with the neighbors as well. 



The peppers are loaded and it will be time to deal with those soon. 


The plums harvest was beyond our expectations to make up for no peaches or blackberries. 


The apples continue to ripen on the trees. 


Right now the lilies are blooming 


The Naked Ladies lilies are thick this year and I think will have to be thinned again. 

The gardens are winding down quickly now and we have planted very few fall crops. With both freezers full and canning jars running scarce we are not planting fall crops other than a few greens and such to eat fresh.  I have about 2 dozen empty canning jars left and refuse to buy any more. I think that the thousand or so that are already full will have to be enough. The pantry is full with no more shelf space left. I want to add some apple pie filling to the jars that are left and some pickle relish. I will freeze the peppers  and we are thinking to call it a year and get our seed saved for next year. 

I hope that all of you have has a productive fall as well and we look forward to a winters rest. 

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

6 comments:

  1. For us, it seems canning has just started its' rush! We have yet to pick our first ripe 'big' tomato (we've nibbled a few cherries here and there) and the canning has been devoted mostly to squash, cukes and beans. I doubt I will have much apple canning to do this year as our trees didn't hardly blossom out and the blossoms that did were frozen.

    It has been a challenge for me this year in particular because our family cow has freshened (for the first time) leaving us with an abundance of milk. Hubby is the milker and I am the one who deals with the milk. I've been making butter, mozzerella and farm cheese like all get out- along with yogurt, cream cheese, ricotta, etc. And of course ICE CREAM. So it is a constant juggle between garden chores and milk chores. I have to try to use up 2-3 gallons of milk a day- regardless- and finding time in between to do canning is certainly keeping me on my toes. And on the weekends...there is woodsplitting to do. We burn a ridiculous amount of wood each year (such an inefficient stove!) so I am praying we don't have a crazy cold winter like last year.

    I really don't know how I will manage in September when school starts...because I homeschool. Adding the teaching of three children to my days is really going to be something. But I did spy an orange-ish tree the other day.

    I would love those Naked Lady flowers- I have never heard of them. They look like they would make beautiful cut flowers for vases! And your post about them made me laugh yesterday. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for some bulbs!

    Sorry for the bookish comment- I think I am trying to avoid getting the day started. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. envy you the milk and milk by products but not the milk chores. Sometimes on the homestead there just seems there are not enough hours in the day. So many email me and talk of wanting to live this lifestyle and being self sufficient but I think really have no idea of the hours and work involved. May God give you the stamina to get all you have to do done and the wisdom to know what to leave for tomorrow. Hugs from Hickery Holler CQ

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My garden has been hit with powdery mildew this year so it is dying down no matter what I do. As soon as I spray it rains so my efforts are fruitless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grapes look fantastic! My dad and I used your method of t-posts and livestock panels to create an arched trellis and our vines covered it up in no time! I was a little nervous about pruning the vines this winter, as they really bore their hearts out this year and I didt want to over-prune and stunt them for next year. I’ve read that you should remove up to 90% of the vine when pruning…it would be my luck that I remove the wrong 90%, lol. Your post about pruning grapes from March 2013 was a godsend and has saved our vines from a “shear” catastrophe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love your pictures! So pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails