Friday, August 22, 2014

Horticulture Beans


Early fall is the time of year in the garden for the shell beans and dried beans. I have brought in many an autumn day sitting in my rocker shelling beans. 


A soft cushioned rocker, a good movie in the DVD player or maybe some soft gospel music playing and a pan of beans to shell or several. 


Louisiana Red Beans and these Horticulture Beans are our favorite beans to keep on hand canned. They both cook into a thick and rich gravy and with some ham or sausage and maybe some chopped onions thrown in and cooked low and slow they make a nourishing and hot meal on a cold winter day. 


Those long term readers have seen me can these many times year after year.  The variety is "Lina Cisco Bird Egg" and the seeds were originally acquired many years ago through Seed Savers Exchange.  They grow well in our area and are easy to can just as any other shell bean. 


When done both the bean and the shell take on  mottled purple streaks. They can also be allowed to dry in the field. On our farm however we do not allow them to dry because if we have a wet fall they will mildew. 


The seeds dry very well and we store in the freezer now. 


Well that's another week here in Hickery Holler. I have dill relish that has soaked in salt overnight that I will be jarring this morning and some weeding to do as always. With temperatures topping out at around the hundred mark I will enjoy being inside canning. I'll take plenty of pictures of the relish and hope to see you all on Monday.


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

9 comments:

  1. I have wanted to try growing red beans and pinto beans, but wasn't sure of the drying and storing process. Do I have to cook them first to can them? My canning book doesn't cover canning dried beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link to my tutorial on canning dried beans
      http://hickeryhollerfarm.blogspot.com/2012/01/canning-dried-beans.html

      Hugs CQ

      Delete
  2. I have just spent two of the most delightful hours reading your blog! I just happened to find you and I am totally in awe! Your food preservation and gardening skills amaze me! I love to garden and can and freeze, I do it on a much smaller scale. I am your latest follower!

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have stored alot in the freezer this year. Since my fridge died snd we acquired a side by side, it has become rather tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I found you a few years back, I've read and reread many of your posts! I am always in awe of what you and O' Wise One have done together to create home, and food that nourishes all your family. I just wanted you to know I've been lifting both of you up in prayer, that you stay healthy and strong to continue your journey of life as it has been and to be able to continue inspiring more generations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there. Can I ask how you dry your beans? I have a glut of beans at the moment. A few have dried on the plant but the weather is getting cold so I don't want to leave them any longer. Do I just dry them in the dehydrator? Thanks a million! June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Notice the bottom picture in the post above. I have a bunch of old cookie sheets that I simply lay my beans out on and allow them to dry. I do not dehydrate them but rather let them dry naturally. I also have an old screen door that I have set up on the porch and used.

      Delete
    2. Brilliant - thank you so much for the reply!

      Delete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails