Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Cabbage and Freezer Slaw




Not much going on today but I am making the last of my cabbage into freezer slaw. You can find the recipe and tutorial at the link below:




I freeze it in small freezer containers overnight


Then transfer the frozen slaw to vacuum sealed bags

O Wise One and I have begun cleaning up the flower beds and cutting back the perennials for the fall. We get up early every morning and vow to spend 1 hour together in the flower beds every morning. Just that 1 hour for 2 people makes a huge difference and we were making great progress until this latest heat wave hit. I got overheated one morning and got sick to my stomach so we have decided that if it is over 80 at 7:30 a.m. it will just have to wait. So we have had several mornings off here lately. They are predicting that the temperatures will start to cool again on Thursday so I am sure we will be back to flower bed duty.

We have also started scraping the porch every afternoon in preparation for a new paint job. We wait till the afternoon when the porch is shady and cooler. 


I also want to make some more zucchini bread for the freezer while I have plenty. 



I roasted a pan of plum tomatoes in the oven and they made the whole house smell wonderful. 




The bell peppers are starting to ripen and I will start to put them in the freezer next week. 

Most of the plums are gone except the ones in the very top of the tree and we have decided to just let the birds have them. We have put up our fair share, gave lots to family and the neighbors and we are just about plummed out. 


Next month it will be the apples. I can't wait for some fresh apple fritters.

So as you can see winter isn't here yet and we are still awful busy. 

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

13 comments:

  1. I always freeze the shredded zucchini for the zucchini bread. I don't have the space to freeze all the bread itself. The freezer slaw is not something I've every thought about even though I've read the whole Ball Blue Book. My mind must have skipped right over that one. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only in the special anniversary edition blue book I think.

      Delete
  2. Your apple fritters look delicious! This is the first year that our cabbage did well and wasn't eaten by those pesky worms. Since seeing your post, I will try making freezer slaw. Thanks for all you do here, all of your wisdom helps us so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do use a little Bt every year to help with those cabbage worms. it is one of the few purchased sprays that i do use. My family really like freezer slaw and it has become a yearly staple for us.

      Delete
  3. I just tried a small batch of your dill pickle recipe last night. My cukes are coming on a few at a time so I was only able to put up 3 jars. I'll do more in a week or so. I'm going to try your dill relish with some extra zucchini I have, hopefully it turns out alright. Thanks for all of your info on this sight, it's made a difference for me that last year I've been following you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how the zucchini relish turns out please. I have never used zucchini and just curious. I put up dill relish last week and it turned out really good. You are so welcome for the info and glad to be of help.

      Delete
  4. It all looks amazing...but those apple fritters! One of those with a cup of coffee would make my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We wait all year long for apple season for fresh apple fritter and fried apple pies. Can't beat them with a hot cup of coffee or a cold glass of milk!

      Delete
  5. Never in a million years would I have thought to freeze slaw! Now I know what I will be doing with some of my cabbage next spring! I have never had apple fritters but they look delicious!

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have a link to your apple fritters recipe? We'll be in apples here in Utah very soon and I'd like to try it out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://hickeryhollerfarm.blogspot.com/2012/10/apple-fritters.html

      Delete
  7. I wonder does the cabbage get soft and mushy after being frozen....droopy like? If not I would like to try this.....those apple fritters and the zuc bread look so good! Can you freeze the fritters too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not as crunchy as fresh but surprisingly not mushy either. My family loves it and it is a great and easy salad when the greens are not plentiful. Just defrost and enjoy.

      Delete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails