Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Slow Cooker Pork


As most of you know I love a good crockpot meal. I love the freedom of putting a meal on and getting on with my day with no stirring etc and coming back hours later to a finished meal.  This recipe I make with pork steak and usually have most of the ingredients on hand and many even home grown.  

Hickery Holler Pork Dinner

1 1/2 pounds of pork steak
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 large onion chopped
1 medium green pepper chopped
1 8 oz can chopped mushrooms
1 quart jar tomato sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons corn starch
1 pint chunked pineapple (optional)
Cooked noodles


Cut pork into strips. Add olive oil to skillet and brown pork strips and place in crock pot. 


Next combine onions, peppers and mushrooms. I have used both canned mushrooms and fresh mushrooms in this. I use my frozen homegrown onions and my frozen homegrown pepper slices. Our favorite are the red ripe peppers. 


Pour the vegetables over the pork in crock pot. Next I mix all the wet ingredients. One quart of my homemade tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and corn starch. Stir liquid ingredients well and pour over the pork and vegetables. If you want to add pineapple chunks add them at this time. 


This is a great recipe for me to use those frozen pepper strips from the summer.


And my homemade zucchini pineapple goes great in this recipe as a substitute for real pineapple. I usually leave a few jars in larger chunks just for this recipe. 


Now I cook mine on high in my crockpot for 3 hours or until pork is done and serve over cooked noodles. 


Add a loaf of crusty bread for capturing all that good sauce and you have a memorable meal.

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

5 comments:

  1. I was intrigued by the pineapple zucchini. I looked back on the your Canning Recipes tab and found it. Very unique. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, a crock pot recipe with pork. My fave food. Bless your heart Im going to make this! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be there to eat if I could get out of my driveway.

    Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I can just imagine the good smells at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have everything on hand right now. Thanks for the idea for dinner as it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails