Thursday, July 18, 2013

Garden Update Mid July


Our spring crops are pretty well winding down here in the original garden. The potatoes are now about the size of your fist and growing. I hope to can some small new potatoes in the near future. The onions are now getting size to the bulbs but few have fallen over yet. The cabbage is starting to head up but is not ready to pick yet. We enjoy broccoli regularly and have even frozen some. We also have a crop of young broccoli and cabbage coming on for the fall garden. There are a few beets left but most of the lettuce is gone out of this garden. The blank spots are where we will put some of our fall crops.
















Since our cabbage is later this year we have had a few more problems with cabbage worms than we normally do but we are trying to stay ahead of them.


My new raspberry plants are coming along nicely and are lush and green.


The new strawberry plants are also coming along and it is a regular job keeping the runners picked off of them this first year. 


The grapes are sizing up nicely and should be ripening here shortly. The blackberries are now red and I found our first black one yesterday.



Not only do I have a row of cucumbers in the big garden but I also have a nice half row along the pea fence. These younger plants should help to extend the cucumber harvest over a longer period of time. This variety is the heirloom Straight Eight. It grows well in this area and is good for both slicing and pickling when picked young.



And the plum tree is loaded this year.


They are just starting to show color but should be ripe soon.


We continue to weed daily and water some as we are really needing some rainfall. 


So we are doing okay for mid July. With another 3 and a half moths of growing season before first frost we continue to run several weeks behind but hope to make up for the time lost with some fall crops. 

Still lots of hard work in our future but we continue to be thankful for our blessings. We continue to work hard despite a late start and dry weather we won't give up till frost falls and then not completely. 

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter



4 comments:

  1. My husband and I just love reading your blog. It is wonderful to see the growth and the veggies of your garden. Great blog and very fun to read.

    Friends,
    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made your Tuna casserole for lunch today and it was very delicious. My 9yo son loved it. I have never had tuna casserole before so this was a new one for me. We ate one and froze one for later, thanks for sharing your ideas and recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following you for abit and love your blog.I love the simplicity of living off the land. You and your husband do a great job.How much land do you have? I have tried abit on my 1/4 of an acre here in LI,NY. Not nearly with what you have. A few things planted in threes. Except my corn. Thanks for sharing your recipes and love of farming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures of your garden. It looks like you spend a lot of time keeping it so tidy.

    What will you be planting for your fall crops?

    Your fruit trees look wonderful. Mine look horrible. Last years drought is still taking its toll on them this year. In fact, your entire garden looks much better than mine!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails