Friday, February 1, 2013

Trying To Rescue A Classic


One of my goals in the next few weeks is to try to rescue this quilt. I found it in an old trunk after my mother in laws death. Everything on the quilt that was made of good sturdy cotton is still in tact. Everything that was made of this flimsy gingham material is now in tatters.


My thought is to take the quilt apart and try to remove the stars, set them on a solid square and applique and then reattach to the existing quilt backing and cotton batting and then re quilt. Any quilter out there have any suggestion I would love some input. 

Let this also be a lesson to those of you new quilters. ALWAYS use good heavy quality cottons or cotton blends. This is especially true if you are recycling clothing for quilt tops. 




Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

11 comments:

  1. This will be a treasure restored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could get new replacement fabric for the red gingham and applique over the old. I'd clip off most of the loose threads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will confess i have done this deed, just because I loved a pretty print only to find it didn't wear as well as others, thats such a good tip for us, its a lovely treasure to have found in the trunk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you cut away the old gingham and appliqued new patches over the spots as Densie suggests, then you don't disturb as much of the original quilting. And older fabrics that seems stable can have problems if you start taking out quilting and seams, etc. But either way should work. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be time consuming but the more I think on it I do think maybe the applique method may work better although I will have to requilt some sections already. I will be sure to post post repairs : )

      Delete
  5. No new thought here. My ideal was to use stitch witchy to hem the raw edges. Then applique the new material over the frayed after trimming the loose threads. Like Mrs. Roy would love to see a picture after your finished. BTW don't know if I missed it or not, but what kind of quilt did you decide to make your son that was getting married?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a blue log cabin on the frame, a Scottie dog quilt top that I just finished for my grandson, this quilt to patch and have started cutting out squares for a wedding ring for the youngest son. As you can see I have much to complete :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you will be able to do it , your a crafty girl hehe ! Looking forward to how it all turns out for you ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  8. CQ,

    What a beautiful family heirloom. Obviously, your MIL wanted you to find it, she knew you would be the one to take care of fixing it.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails