Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Back In Production


We have had a short reprieve from winter here in Hickery Holler. In true Missouri weather tradition we saw the first 60 degree temperatures of the new year yesterday with a small temporary warm up. 

Thus far we have had a really mild winter and very little snowfall so we look forward to a chance of rain today. But that fickle mother nature also threatens to again have snow by tomorrow and the cold returns. So our reprieve from winter is very short lived.  

But the days get longer everyday and we are starting to see the evidence of that. The chickens are again picking up their egg laying and gradually everyday we get more eggs. I am starting to again see full cartons of eggs in my refrigerator on a regular basis. Yesterday I saw my first robin of the year and the first housefly. Again this year with such a mild winter I fear the bugs will be bad just as last year. Already we are seeing moths and flies.   

But for now we will enjoy our 60 degree day and dream of the days when we can again throw open the windows and doors, air out the quilts and hang the laundry in the warm spring sunshine.  

We will continue to work on our winter projects for now after all we are not finished yet. We'll snuggle under those quilts and continue to dream of that elusive thing called Spring.



UPDATE: We have gotten over an inch of rain since I posted this in the AM. Temperatures are dropping but the rain sure is nice even though it will be a muddy mess now : )


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

5 comments:

  1. The weather sure has been strange, I can't wait until spring! Yesterday our weather peaked to 78 degrees, today it's in the low 70's with bad storms heading right for us. Tonight, were expected to get back down in the high 20's, low 30's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gads, we had a high of 73' here yesterday! Yuck! I even opened some windows! It's back down around 40' and we've had a little rain but would LOVE it colder and a TON of snow! We are so so so dry here in KS!!! I, too, fear the insects my home and garden will have this coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dream of hitting a balmy 30 degrees! It's been snowing here for 3 days now, it's supposed to go thru the weekend. Last year we had a super mild winter so this is a good change for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I see your picture, I am still in awe of your summer gardens. Have you ever shared a planting plan? If so, where can I find it? If not, will you share and inspire the rest of us with some ideas for this spring?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the eggs and rain!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails