Friday, September 14, 2012

Watermelon Rind Pickles..Day 3

This is the third and final conclusion of how to make watermelon rind pickles. 



Place lids on to warm. This recipe made 9 and 1/2 pints for me.  




Place jars in water bath water to warm. 


Remove spices from your watermelon rind which has soaked overnight in refrigerator.


Place in non reactive pot on stove and bring to boil. Boil for about 25 minutes or until rind is translucent. 



Pour hot rind into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove any bubbles and wipe rims to remove any residue.


Place hot clean lids and rings on clean rims and finger tighten only.


Process in boiling hot water bath for 5 minutes only. Remove from boiling water and allow to cool. As the jars cool they should ping to seal. Allow to cool over night and then remove rings, wipe down jars and store in a cool dry area.


Let stand for atleast a month before eating.


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

5 comments:

  1. well I've gotta tell you this has made me think about giving watermelon rind pickels one more chance, lol!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum Yum Yum. Totally going to try your method. Watermelon pickles are one my favorite memories from childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks CQ for linking this up at the Carnival of Home Preserving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is almost the same recipe my mother used to make watermelon rind pickles when I was a child and that I have used successfully myself. When I tell people they take 3 days to make, they look at me like I'm crazy, but these pickles are well worth the time! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This year 2013 will be my third time making watermelon rind pickles, because my husband and I love them. We enjoy them with ham. I have given them as gifts but it seems no one likes them! Anyway, any suggestions on how to pair watermelon rind pickles with something other than the Christmas or Easter ham? Am looking for serving suggestions. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails