Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Daily Farm Update Butternut


Three 5 gallon buckets of butternut winter squash. And all that off just 6 vines. Wow! Laying in sunshine for a couple hours to help harden those skins. Always leave about 2 inches of stem if possible it helps them to last longer in storage. Then they will be wiped down with a solution of just 4 Tablespoons of bleach to a half gallon water. Do not rinse. This helps to kill bacteria or mold on the skins to help prevent mold and mildew. Once they are dry they will be stored inside in a cool, dry place and should keep for several months. I hope to cube and can some of these to take advantage of those bumper crops! 



O Wise One loves butternut pie : )

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

2 comments:

  1. I am in Alabama and love your posts, one day I hope to be close to productive as you and your family. You always are so helpful in your posts. I actually have planted for the first time the Jade beans and they are growing wonderfully I have 2 - 20 foot rows, as I live in the city. Actually after reading many many of your post I purchased a pressure canner. Not used yet (small garden) but with great intentions.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails