Sunday, July 15, 2012

Daily Farm Journal


Sunday July 15th, 2012


It's 5:21 am and I sit here and sip my coffee as the sun begins to peek over the hills to the east. The old broody hen hatched out 2 chicks yesterday. The remaining eggs seem to have rotted in the heat. The strongest one we left with her and placed her in a brooder to keep her safe. The littlest one not yet dry last night we placed inside under a light to dry and are feeding him boiled egg to strengthen him up some before returning him to mama hen. That makes 11 baby buff orphington chicks hatched so far this year. Hoping there will be enough hens to replace some of my aging ones. 

As soon as the sun comes up I am heading to the bean patch to pick red beans. They are starting to dry and the remainder of my day will be consumed shelling beans. 

Picked cucumber beetles again last night and dropped them in soapy water. Don't know if I am making headway or not but it kind of feels right killing them. Aren't I sadistic. It seems this year as if I have every kind of bug known to man and in huge numbers. I have to wonder if it is the weather?  I haven't had this many bugs in my gardens in years.

Baby O is working diligently to get all her 4-H exhibits ready for the fair. Tomorrow she will be baking her entries for cooking and tomorrow evening we deliver it all to the fair grounds. Such a busy time..

Found the little wren nest above out on one of the rabbit hutches. The eggs are so tiny, barely as big as the end of your fingers. Hoping to get pictures of the babies when they hatch. 

The temperatures are again up in the triple digits but atleast we received not once but twice the blessing of rain last week so I will not complain. Unfortunately it wasn't even enough to green the grass back up. I am still praying for a good couple of day rain event that would really make a difference.  But I know that there are many who have not received any rain at all. So I will try to be patient and be thankful that everyone is healthy and the garden is still full of a bountiful harvest that many would be happy to have. 

I am off to pick beans but am wishing you all health, happiness and RAIN : )

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter   







3 comments:

  1. We have had bug parades, bug parties and even bug herds. It is amazing. The chickens nor we can keep up with them all. The assasin bugs are having a ball.

    We got a little rain. I am so grateful. I want more but I am grateful for what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am guessing the warm winter is probably responsible.
    Hope everyone gets rain who needs it!
    Have a wonderful week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I love your photos. I keep having finches trying to build a nest in the grill of my car. Every morning I have to pull out the startings of a nest. Wish they would use the trees!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails