Thursday, April 26, 2012

This Weeks Bloomers



As you can see in the above picture the pink Knock Out Roses are blooming more every day along with Johnny Jump ups sprinkled through out the beds. 


The first of the Iris are opening with a promise of lots of blooms to come.



The Columbine are in full bloom. The one thing I love about Columbine is that always when the columbine bloom along with them come the swarms of hummingbirds feeding on those tiny bell shaped blossoms. Therefore I leave the columbine to seed freely throughout my beds and just thin out any unwanted plants after they bloom.  Therefore allowing the hummingbirds migrating north plenty of blossoms to stop and feed on. We have counted 100 hummers some years feeding in these beds. This year the columbine are blooming almost a month early and not a hummingbird in sight. With unseasonable warm weather early in the spring these flowers emerged and budded out super early. Many to be zapped by that late spring freeze last week. Now with a temperatures back to somewhat seasonable norms and running cooler again, the flowers are blooming but the animals that feed off them are no where in sight. It makes me wonder when the hummers do show up what will they eat if all the flowers are done? Guess I need to dig out my hummingbird feeders. 




The first of the perennial Salvia are opening as well..





My mother's Rugosa Roses are blooming and the smell of roses is just heavenly. Mix that with the smell of the iris and the aroma of cloves that come from the Dianthus and I could just sit in my flower beds all day. If it just wasn't so darn cool : ) 



The cheddar pinks or Dianthus are still in full bloom. Their smell of cloves is everywhere outside on the breeze. This is another flower that is blooming early and normally is just covered with bees, every kind of bee imaginable. With the return of cool temperatures there is not a bee in sight feeding on this feast. 


I have become spoiled and miss those 70 and 80 degree days. I miss working in the garden and beds in short sleeves with the sun on my face. As I type this the temperatures today are in the upper 50's. I guess like the bees and hummers I stay where it's warm and wait for another day.




Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter 

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! All things are blooming here at one time...out of season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely! You are ahead of us. Only the bulbs are blooming here - but we'll have more flowers soon!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your flowers, CQ! I did not know that about hummingbirds and Columbine. Very interesting. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, your flowers are awesome. The colors are so vibrant. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails