With the increase of grandchildren O Wise One and I have decided that we need to add some additional fruit trees and vines to our gardens to keep up with the demand. Therefore 2 weeks ago I took blackberry stem cuttings to root.
I selected a vine about the size of a pencil and cut it from the plant. Then trimmed off the dead leaves and stems. Then I cut it in pieces about 4 to 6 inched long. I wanted each piece to have several buds on it.
Then I dip the end of each piece in a rooting hormone. This can be purchased at any garden supply store.
Then my pieces are potted in a mixture of potting soil and perlite for good drainage. You want your soil damp but not soggy.
Then I placed a cut off 2 liter soda bottle over each cup to help retain humidity almost like little mini greenhouses. A great way to recycle ! The tray was then placed in a sunny south facing window. Keep the soil moist but not soggy.
And in about 2 weeks we started to see little roots emerge from the buds. On the one above see the little green sprout emerging from the soil to the left of the stem. Even the buds in the air are setting aerial roots.
Notice roots at the base. Soon they will start sprouting new leaves and then we can remove the domes. After about a month I will put these in larger pots and plant outside either late this summer or next spring. Learning to propagate your own plants can help to reduce the cost of starting your own orchard so much. I even rooted most of the shrubs in my yard myself. I also started many of my perennials from seed. Ways to have lots of plants with a minimal amount of cost.
Blessings from The Holler
The Canned Quilter