Monday, February 13, 2012

Snacks At Hand




Now that I am home schooling with a teenager at home full time I have had to rethink some things and one of those is snacks.  For those of you who haven't had teenagers yet they tend to be bottomless pits : ) As my daughter laughingly points out all those raging teenage hormones require sustenance. So I have started making what I call a snack box. It is actually a dishpan that is on the pantry shelf with optional snacks in it. I do this to try to guide her towards healthier snacks that are already prepared in single servings.  Things like cereal chex mixes, dried fruit and homemade granola bars. My daughter loves Chex mix so I try to sneak in a few healthy things that she might not ordinarily try on her own. Toasted walnuts right off our farm and high in Omega 3. Dried apples bits again off of our own farm. Sunflower seeds, toasted flax seed. Just a few thrown in with the mix.

This is the original Chex Mix recipe found on the box. 


  Ingredients
3cups Corn Chex® cereal
3cups Rice Chex® cereal
3cups Wheat Chex® cereal
1cup mixed nuts
1cup bite-size pretzels
1cup garlic-flavor bite-size bagel chips or regular-size bagel chips, broken into 1-inch pieces
6tablespoons butter or margarine
2tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2teaspoons seasoned salt
3/4teaspoon garlic powder
1/2teaspoon onion powder

1.In large microwavable bowl, mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bagel chips; set aside. In small microwavable bowl, microwave butter uncovered on High about 40 seconds or until melted. Stir in seasonings. Pour over cereal mixture; stir until evenly coated.
2.Microwave uncovered on High 5 to 6 minutes, thoroughly stirring every 2 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container.
Oven Directions Heat oven to 250°F. In large bowl, mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bagel chips; set aside. In ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in oven. Stir in seasonings. Gradually stir in cereal mixture until evenly coated. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes. Store in airtight container.
  



After baking I added 2 cups of cheese crackers. You can add goldfish crackers or even a small bag of cheese puffs. Dried fruit such as raisins and even a small bag of M and M's after it has cooled.  Try adding popcorn seasoning to it for a variety of flavors. Once cooled I bag in small off brand ziploc sandwich bags and throw in our snack dishpan in the pantry. Waiting for a hungry teenager or grandkids. 



Anyone out there have any great recipe additions for your Chex Mix.


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

4 comments:

  1. My wife makes us chex mix all the time. I will have to share this with her. Also I wanted to invite you and your followers to my give away!

    http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com/2012/02/veggie-seed-give-away.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I have three older teens..and, yes, bottomless pits. My son says this looks delicious, so I will put this on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was growing up, chex mix only called for pretzels and peanuts, haha.
    Your additions are very interesting! I may try adding assorted nuts to mine. :)
    Hope you're all having a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your post and as the mother of boys they never fill up!

    Also please stop over at my blog and see the award I have given you.
    http://basketsbyrosebasketsbyrose.blogspot.com

    Have a wonderful and bless Monday
    Rose

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails