Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Reuse and Recycle



Although many of the things used to build my home were new, such as windows and exterior doors.We also collected architectural items for many years to recycle into our new home.Such as these screen doors which are from a house that was 100 years old that the owners were tearing down. They were too narrow for modern doors but took them to the Amish who were able to add additional wood to the sides to increase their width. They have been in use for 8 years now and other than repainting have performed wonderful.  



Each one unique and beautiful. It makes me smile to think of the children in a century that have slammed these doors. If only these doors could tell their stories. 

Even some of my interior doors are salvaged from old houses. This beauty I bought out of a shed for a 12 pack of beer! (That's what the guy wanted!)


I stripped 16 coats of paint off that door. Took me forever......It has the original door bell and hardware and then I repainted it. This door also had to be widened by the Amish. I guess doors were much narrower back then.What is so unique about this door is that the cranberry glass or red glass in the door is original. Complete with bubbles and dimples. When I took this door to have the Amish widen it I was offered a pretty penny for this door from someone in the woodworking shop. I use this door on my guest bedroom. . 


All the interior window and door frames consist partially of salvaged items also. The corner bulls eye blocks 
(look at the squares in the very corner of the frame) these were recycled from a turn of the century bar that was being torn down.


Those wide window wells are also of recycled wormy maple. Almost impossible to find these days. O Wise One found it at a lumber mill in Louisiana and had it planed down and it made beautiful window frames through out  our house. It took me many hours with sandpaper and steel wool to get that shine on that wood. 

So there again think outside the box and look to houses being torn down and there are even stores now that specialize in architectural salvage items. It's good for the environment and sometimes cheaper though not always. The quality of workmanship on these doors are wonderful and far above anything that you would buy from a box store or lumberyard today. So keep your eyes open for those bargains. 



Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter



8 comments:

  1. I was impressed before, now I am wowed!!!

    Absolutely beautiful...a home built with much thought and love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of recycling materials for homes! I have always wanted to do that when my dh and I build. You have a very beautiful home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and love it!!!!!
    Thank you for sharing part of you life with us.
    God bless,
    Jeanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your doors and window wells are absolutely lovely! They just aren't made with such character anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful pictures and wonderful stories, CQ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful finds! That door with the beautiful red glass is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah man, that cranberry glass is something else! I've never seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'll be building a house next year and I can't wait to start looking for treasures!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails