Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Oven Frying Green Tomatoes



Most farms and farmers markets now have green tomatoes on hand. With winter fast approaching most of us on the farm have more green tomatoes than we want. I felt that now was the time to again repost about oven frying green tomatoes. If you are like me I fry very little these days. I now cook fish, okra, breaded squash and green tomatoes in the oven. My squash, okra and green tomatoes I actually bread and freeze in my Foodsaver bags to take out during the winter.Yes it is possible to have crisp oven fried food without the spatter and mess.





First I washed and sliced the green tomatoes and squash


Then I dipped them in a milk and egg combo and seasoned bread crumbs then placed them on a baking sheet that I had coated with Pam
( You can also use olive oil or cooking oil)

Then you spray the tops of the tomatoes with Pam to moisten 
( You can also put a couple dabs of butter on top)

If you don't put something on top they will be dry and not crispy !

Then place in a HOT oven! I set my oven to 450 and bake on top shelf.

Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown





I'm serving these tonight with pork chops and German potato salad


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

2 comments:

  1. I do like fried green tomatoes. But, I hadn't thought about doing that in the oven. It's a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look good. Do you do your okra that same way? I can't get my hubby to give up frying in oil yet.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails