Sunday, August 21, 2011

This Aint Ya Mama's Grits !!


Nothing says southern like grits ! We were raised on them. Not them little bags of instant grits. Real honest to goodness grits you cook in a pot, on the stove no less. No microwaves involved. It was the standard breakfast fare on my mama's kitchen table my whole life. Right along side them biscuits and breakfast sausage. Lets not forget them fresh eggs fried in that cast iron skillet.

I remember one time when I was a young teenager and I went to this 4-H competition. It was at a local university and there were kids there from northern states. We were housed in the dorms. We were all sitting around one night playing cards and someone asked about grits. My girlfriend and I strung this story about going grits hunting and finding these illusive little grit bugs under logs and such. Had all them little yankee children out with flashlights lookin under hollow logs for them grits. A real life grits hunt.  Convinced them that was what the gators ate. We got in so much trouble...........my girlfriend and I are still laughing about it though 40 years later.

This is O Wise One's favorite way to eat grits. Mixed with sausage, cheese, milk, butter and eggs. Yes indeed he will eat this cold out of the fridge the next day for a snack. What am I gonna do with him?



CHEESY SAUSAGE & GRITS CASSEROLE 


4 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 cup quick cooking grits
4 eggs lightly beaten
1 pound pork sausage, browned and drained
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened

In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat and cook for 4 - 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove grits from heat and add a small amount of hot grits to beaten eggs. (to temper eggs) Add egg mixture back to grit pot and stir. Add browned sausage, 1 cup cheese, milk and butter to grits mixture. Stir until butter is melted. Pour into greased 13 X 9 X 2 baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered, at 350 for 50 to 55 minutes or until top begins to brown. Take out and let sit for about 10 minutes . Serves 10 - 12 .

  I served this for my Sunday morning breakfast this morning along side some hot biscuits.





Now booking hunts for grits and snipe : )


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

6 comments:

  1. Many "Northern Girls" know a lot more about grits than thought of..They know that washing grits removes many bugs etc. you don't see with the naked eye, and makes them good and creamy...try that next time in your pot :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed it looks like they do! Cooking them with milk also makes them creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting fatter just reading your blog! I'm going to make this for my friend (raised in the Delta) with some smoked turkey wings cooked with collards and cornbread! Gonna be some soul food eatin tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me! Me! I want to hunt for grits! ;-)

    Thank you for this recipe. This is one I will have to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda G just to let ya know I luv ya girl : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the best recipe ever. I wish I could eat some and have it taste as it is supposed to.

    I finally updated the cornucopia of hell blog that is recently my life.

    <3

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails