Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Wanted: Strong Backs and Big Shovels




Monday morning Baby O went to school and we started hearing rumblings about a storm moving in. By noon the schools were closed and the students deposited back at home. O Wise One immediately started stocking up on animal food and making sure all the animals were in their shelters with plenty of straw, food and water in anticipation of this storm. I started cooking. If we lost electricity I wanted to make sure I had plenty of food already prepared for several days. I also made sure we had plenty of batteries, gas in the cars, candles and oil lamps. By Monday night we were all ready to ride out this storm or so we thought. Tuesday morning about 9 am it started to snow. We snuggled in to a warm house that smelled of beef vegetable soup and snickerdoodles.





At first it was just a light snow. Nothing we had not seen before.



Quickly that light snow picked up to a harder snowfall.



Soon there were total white out conditions. For 15 hours it snowed. We watched movies and read books and listened to the wind howl and the snow hit the windows. 

 It is midnight as I write this. The temperatures are steady dropping down to almost zero with a wind chill well below zero. It is hard to tell if it is still snowing because the wind is blowing on an average of about thirty miles an hour and the snow is still blowing around so much. 

It wil take days to be able to get out or anyone to get in to us. I am not sure how long it will take to get out of the house. This is the view of my front porch.





Mother nature has indeed unleashed her fury today. For now we are going to bed. Tomorrow we will start digging out. Blizzard conditions are supposed to continue to about midday. By the time we get up tomorrow morning I don't know how we will get out the doors. We are thankful that we are all safe and together. We have plenty of food, water, heat, quilts and a sturdy roof over our heads. We are indeed blessed. We pray for all those who are not as fortunate tonight!

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

4 comments:

  1. My, my!!! I don't know snow at all.

    We were very lucky to be on the edge of this massive storm. We got rain, which we needed badly.

    Flurries and dropping temps and high winds all came together in a miserably cold night. We were to have single digits...I did not want to hear the chill factor.

    Stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Thank goodness your family is well prepared! Stay safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you folks have everything you need!

    Thank you again for the biscuit recipe and chocolate chip cookie recipe. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had time to prepare. My mom woke up to 15 inches this morning.
    God Bless and be careful when you start digging out. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails