Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Back to the kitchen


Saturday Afternoon a terrible storm came through dumping about 2 1/2 " of rain. We lost electricity several times and a couple of the neighbors had a little wind damage. Luckily we missed that bullet and just got mostly rain. It did leave a beautiful red sunset in the picture. I had a restful Sunday doing NOTHING ! Well I did babysit grand baby Hank while his mama and daddy went out to sunday dinner. He got his first shots last week and is not feeling well so he stayed with grandma while everyone went to eat. He and grandma got in a much needed afternoon nap : )

On the farm front O Wise One set out traps for the coons in our corn all weekend. He even sat out there for awhile only to find out it is not coons doing the damage. It is ferile cats from the woods. I have never in my life seen such. Anyone else ever heard of this? Of course my dog Rosie loves corn too. If we let Sadie the wonder pup go at night she would probably keep them run out. But while she is small she has to stay shut up at night because the coyotes will kill her. She'll get big enough one day to hold her own.

On Monday morning it was back to the canning thing. Started with new potatoes in quarts. O Wise One loves these cooked in a cast iron skillet with a little butter, garlic and parsley.






Then we threw in some green beans and new potatoes...



All in all it was 14 quarts of new potatoes and 7 quarts of green beans and new potatoes.

And then O Wise One brought me something special from the potato patch.


Aaaaawwwwww! What A MAN !
I am such a cheap date : )

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'd sure love MY hubby to bring me something like that. ;)
    Were you taught all your canning knowledge or did you start with a book and just teach yourself from there?
    The potatoes with butter and garlic sound great. :)
    Glad the storm didn't do anything much to you all.
    Perhaps the feral cats are after mice in the cornfield?

    Ooh. Got reeses for my word, haha. Makes me want chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a romantic!! All of your canned goods looks wonderful and will be so tasty this winter!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails