Thursday, April 8, 2010

April in the vegetable garden

We have rhubarb (above) coming up in the garden. This is an heirloom green stalked variety. The cabbage and broccoli plants are ready to go into the garden but with 30 to 40 mile an hour wind gusts for the last 3 to 4 days and the threat of hail with several of those storms we continue to hold them waiting for the weather to stabilize. Temperatures are suppose to dip to the low thirties tonight with a chance of frost so these babies will have to wait till a warmer day to be planted.

The potatoes, peas, lettuce, spinach, onions, green onions  and mustard greens have all been planted on Good Friday. The asparagus beds have been cleaned off and we are waiting for the asparagus to start showing little green heads. This is usually the time of spring turkey season for O Wise One. Along with turkey season comes the much anticipated Morel mushrooms also. We love them and try to find them every year. The tomato and pepper plants along with herbs are all awaiting much warmer and more stable weather to even think about going out so they continue to be taken care of under the lights. The young chickens are almost ready to move also and O Wise One has been working on a temporary pen to hold them in for a couple days. 38 chickens was too large a number for a tractor for very long and since we are only holding them long enough to get them ready to butcher we thought a temporary pen the best option.

To all those asking about the plum trees. The varieties I grow are Ozark and Starking. All my fruit trees come from Stark Brothers. They are a wonderful company and I have never had a problem with their trees. Just below the plum trees in the adjoining field is a thicket of wild plum trees also that I have been known to raid. They bloom about the same time and I think are used by the bees to pollinate the domestic trees : )



Blessings from the Holler

The Canned Quilter

2 comments:

  1. Yuck!! Morels? Yuck!! Hahaha Danny loves those better than candy!! I have never seen the thrill with them tho!

    What garden zone are you in? I am a 6A here at home and a 7A at the vacation home. One number sure makes a big difference. Sounds like you are very close to my zone.

    While I was reading your post Danny was talking on the phone to my grandson about going with him turkey hunting Saturday morning!! Too much alike!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're going to have rhubarb pie before you know it.

    I love to go mushroom hunting. I haven't found any on this farm yet ... but I've only been here a year and a half. I may have to go down to my old home place to hunt them. I know the hillsides where they grow down there!

    When I find a mess of them ... (this is what my grandmother used to call a good amount for cooking for supper!) ... I slice them long ways down the middle, soak them in some salt water ... salt, pepper, and flour them ... and cook them in some hot oil. OH! I could make myself sick eating them! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails