Sunday, January 24, 2010

Country Kids and Front Porches

I was looking through some old pictures the other day and couldn't help but notice all these pictures of my brothers and I on the front porch of our old farmhouse.

To this day I can close my eyes and remember the view from that porch looking out at the pastures in front of our home and the gravel driveway bringing the outside world in. I can remember mama saying "you kids better hit that porch" before she started to clean the house or mop the floors. That was our cue to get out of the house because Mama was busy and you were only in the way. She didn't have to say it twice. There were many summer days spent shelling beans and peas on that porch, many neighbors had a cup of coffee and a visit sitting in those porch chairs. That porch was always base in hide and seek and a cool respite from the hot southern Louisiana sun. And my favorite time at the end of the day when my parents were finished with the day a long sit on the porch with the kids just relaxing and going over the happenings and highlights of their day. Planning tomorrows chores and what still yet had to be done. Most people don't have porches anymore. But here in the Holler the old front porch is waiting. A little snowy right now but there. Waiting for Spring and the warm temperatures that come with it. And yes we get up every morning and sit on that porch and drink our coffee and plan the day. We snap beans and lay out tomatoes and swing in the old porch swing with a tall glass of iced tea, watching the puppies and grandkids running around the yard. And the porch remains a cool haven and extension of our home and a comfort to all.




Blessings from the Holler

The Canned Quilter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails