Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Sausage and Squash Casserole



I wanted to share a casserole I made last week with mashed squash frozen from my garden. I have published the recipe before and you can find the original post HERE .


It requires:

2 pounds yellow squash cubed
8 oz container sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 onion chopped
6 oz package herb stuffing mix (Stovetop Stuffing)
1 stick butter or margarine melted
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

I used 1 container of my frozen and mashed squash that was frozen from my summer garden and vacuum sealed. I also used dehydrated onions from my garden that I rehydrated with boiling water. I have also used green onion from the freezer in the past and they work good also. You will also notice that I buy Boxed stuffing when it is cheap and like my cake mixes take it out of the original box and vacuum seal to prevent pantry pests and store in buckets with gamma lids (twist lids) . I picked up a bunch of these around Thanksgiving and paid  $0.50 a box for them. I pick up a dozen or so specifically for this recipe throughout the year. 


Once all my ingredients are mixed up I did this one a little different. 


I browned a pound of spicy breakfast sausage and added the onion to it at the end to cook a little with the sausage. Then I added the sausage mixture to the original casserole mixture and mixed well and poured into a greased 9X13 baking dish. This I baked at 350 for 45 minutes uncovered. 


 The spice added a nice kick to the squash mixture and dressing. I served with a side of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots medley and a small salad. Made a wonderful dinner. Just an easy recipe to use up all that easy to grow and preserve squash from the garden. You can also substitute zucchini. 

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

****************************************************
I can also be found at 

3 comments:

  1. That sounds really good for a cold winter evening. I'm going to try it with chopped turkey and cream of chicken soup. BTW, what food shrink wrap machine do you use? I'm thinking of getting one but I don't know anyone who uses them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious and I have some sale boxes of stuffing I was trying to decide how to use. Now I know! Lynn from NM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some Stove Top that's been in my pantry for at least a year....this would be a good way to use it up. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails