Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Waiting On Spring and Canning Carrots

 


I personally think this is the hardest time of the year when spring is right around the corner yet winter wants to linger a bit longer. With a warm spell last week I got my bulb onions, carrots, beets, green peas, turnips, mustard greens and spring onions planted. My garlic is sprouting that was planted last fall and I even have a small patch of potatoes planted that sprouted in the pantry and rather than waste them just stuck them out. Now that I have had a taste of warmer weather it just makes it that much harder to wait on those warm spring days. It kind of reminds me of the torture of that last 2 weeks of pregnancy. And to top things off it is now rainy so I am stuck inside again. With snow showers in the forecast for the end of the week I will just have to cool my heels a bit longer. 

I got finished with my quilt that was on the frame and will spend the next couple of days binding the edges. Then I have a baby quilt that is next on the agenda. I am going to take my frame down though as I think I will just quilt it on the lap hoop. That will be two unfinished projects completed and 2 more quilt tops to go. Good lord willing and the creek don't rise I hope to finish them all this year as I have some quilt top patterns I want to try but am forcing myself to finish these first. So many beautiful patterns and so little time. 

One thing is with the price of gas I will have plenty of time at home to work on quilting the way it looks. 

At a recent trip to Walmart I found a great deal on carrots. Five pound bags for $0.74 cents. I bought 4 bags to can which is 20 pounds of carrots for $2.96. I love running across those little bargains and they help to keep my jars full year round even when the garden is not producing. 

I put them in pint jars so that averages about $0.09 cents a pint jar. That will definitely work. I used my Harvest Guard reusable lids and seem to be getting the hang of using them. While I was at Walmart I found more Ball lids and picked up some more of them for my stash as well. I try to pick up some every time I run across them now. A few boxes here and there makes a big difference but I always try to leave some for others. 

I have noticed that my forsythia bushes are just about to bloom, the daylilies are coming up and the cornelian cherry and Nanking cherry are blooming. The plums are also loaded with blooms as well. It's a toss up as to what the late frosts will get but we play this game of Russian roulette  every year with the frosts so time will tell the outcome this year. We always seem to manage to get enough though and we try to remain thankful for what we do get. 

Can you believe my Christmas cactus is still blooming. That thing has been a trooper this year. We remain warm ,healthy and sassy as ever and hope you all do as well.


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

**********************************************

I  can also be found at 

https://thebackfence.freeforums.net/



3 comments:

  1. I have never used canned carrots before. What do you cook them with? The only time I really cook carrots is when making a roast in the slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use them with roasts sometimes but mostly I just serve them as a side with salt and butter.

      Delete
  2. What a great deal on the carrots. You made good use of them! I enjoy reading about what you are up to. I am trying to finish up unfinished projects, too. But why is it that new projects always seem more interesting?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails