Thursday, June 23, 2022

Freezing Twice Baked Potatoes

 


Temperatures are heating up here and I hate to turn on the oven and heat up the house. Now is the time of year that I get busy gardening and canning and such so this is the time of year that I like to premake food to save time. I use my crockpot lots, grill outdoors, eat lots of salads and premake meals. I dug about 8 pounds of potatoes and made twice baked potatoes to freeze. 

It was a rather simple process. I simply rubbed my cleaned potatoes with olive oil and coarse salt.  Then I baked them for about an hour and fifteen minutes at 350 or until soft. Then I allowed to cool for about a half hour and then split and spooned out the insides and mashed. 


To the mashed insides of the potatoes I added sour cream, chives, bacon bits, cheese, salt and pepper. Then I took the mashed potato insides and spooned back into the shells and then sprinkled with cheese and bacon bits and froze on baking sheets.  


Once frozen I removed them from the baking sheets and wrapped the individual halves in aluminum foil and added them back to the freezer. I take them out in the mornings that I want to eat them and unwrap and defrost to cook in the oven, in the microwave or on the grill. A great addition to a summer salad and grilled vegetables fresh from the garden. I find they are good for about 3 months in the freezer just wrapped in foil. 

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

*************************************************

3 comments:

  1. This is great! Thank you, CQ. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I love twice baked potatoes and having items in the freezer to just thaw and cook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know you could freeze these in advance! I usually avoid freezing potatoes in soups and such, but these sound good.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails