Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Canning Elderberry Pie Filling

 


The elderberries are blooming and loaded this year. In the most recent freezer clean out I thawed out some and canned some homemade elderberry pie filling. This should make room for the new crop in the freezer. For me elderberry has been a super simple crop to grow and easy to propagate. I dehydrate some for hot tea during the winter as it is supposed to help strengthen the immune system. This is the first pie filling from them I have canned thus far. 

Elderberry Pie Filling for canning (1 quart)

5 cups elderberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 cup Clear Jel



1. Combine water, sugar, Clear Jel and cook over medium heat until thick stirring often to prevent sticking.
2. Add lemon juice and simmer for about a minute
3. Fold in elderberries and simmer for about 5 minutes. 
4. Put in hot jars and seal. Process quarts and pints in water bath canner for 30 minutes. 

***My berries were frozen so I defrosted the berries and strained off the juice and used it as my water. You can add water to the juice the compensate for the difference.)


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned quilter

****************************

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails