Monday, July 26, 2021

The Gift That Just Keeps Giving


Well we are starting another week. There are some unbelievable hot temperatures and heat indexes across the country. We are fortunate thus far that our temperatures have stayed in the mid 80's with heat indexes around 90. Those down in the basin below us are not so fortunate and some of their temperatures are stifling. 

Some days there is a haze now. The radio says it is from the wildfires. Hard to believe that smoke has traveled this far. 


My 2 hills of zucchini are definitely over achievers. Geez do I have the zucchini. I have started splitting a couple everyday for the chickens as treats. 


Picking blueberries every other day now. They are going in the freezer in vacuum bags and in my oatmeal in the mornings. 


My blackberries are huge this year. Lots more are still on the vines. I will be picking these all the way into fall. 


Picking, washing and preserving in some way is a daily job right now. Not huge batches of anything but it does not take long to add up. When we lived on the big farm it was larger batches but less often. Now I don't do canning/preserving marathons but small batches more often. 

In the end it evens out though and the freezers and pantry are filling up fast. There is still lots of produce to go. 

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

***************************************

I can also be found at



2 comments:

  1. We have the haze here in northeast TN, too. A couple of days ago we had a warning to stay indoors because of poor air quality.

    I had to cut down most of my yellow squash & zucchini plants because the squash bugs got too bad. Just reseeded and hoping to get one more round of harvest before fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far I have managed to outrun the squash bugs. I have no idea how but yet to see one. I plant dill around where I plant my squash and even cut it and lay it as a mulch. I don't think they like the smell of it. I also don't let my plants get ratty. Once they start going down hill I immediately pull them up. I plant a couple hills about every 2 to 3 weeks to keep a steady supply. I can always feed the extras to the chickens.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails