Thursday, June 10, 2021

Dehydrated Elderberries

 

I have been cleaning out my freezer and still had a couple bags of elderberries in there to do something with. I decided to dehydrate them for tea. In the future I want to develop a recipe for canned elderberry pie filling and also experiment with some elderberry cordial or some sort of elderberry liqueur. But that is another day. I just had my first crop last year. But my bushes are huge and loaded this year and the crop looks promising. 


So I pulled out my berries and had to come up with a way to keep those little berries on my dehydrator tray screens without having to chase down little blue bb's when they shrunk after dehydrated. 


So I took parchment paper and cut the corners and took a paper clip and fastened it. Worked GREAT!!!



I just took the dried berries and put them in jars with oxygen absorbers. I can rehydrate these and cook down for syrup or pie filling but mostly I make tea with them. Just add a teaspoon or two to a teabag.

Elderberries have been such a wonderful addition to our gardens Easy to grow, easy to propagate, easy to preserve. And even better than that disease and pest free.

Blessings from the Holler

The Canned Quilter

************************************

I can also be found at 


2 comments:

  1. So glad to see you posting again! I am sorry to hear you had a difficult year. Your gardening posts are really inspiring and I hope you continue to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the paperclip trick! Perfect! I am glad you shared your idea as it chased my worries away. This season I shall put it to good use, and often! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails