Monday, August 31, 2020

Minnesota Midget

 As fall approaches I am starting to see the leaves start to turn a little bit on the earliest trees and the temperatures are cooling off now. Rain is rolling in almost every day lately. Looks to be a wet autumn coming. 

Today in the dehydrator I have okra, blackberries and tomatoes. In the oven I have tomatoes roasting. I have yet to skim and freeze a batch of chicken broth in the fridge and I sliced a new supply of cucumbers for snacking in the fridge to go along with cold cantaloupe. I put in jars dehydrated green peppers from yesterday. And labeled my jars of tomato sauce from last week ready to be stored. 

Still in the garden is my last batch of paste tomatoes waiting to be picked. I still have peppers, okra, blackberries, butter beans, figs, cantaloupe, watermelon, plum tomatoes, and my last batch of shell beans which is a horticulture bean. We have started cleaning up and getting ready to put parts of the garden to bed. 

I planted lots of garden this year because I was unsure what the grocery situation would be and we have been working like little squirrels filling our winter holes. 

One of my successes this year was the planting of a new variety of cantaloupe called "Minnesota Midget". Those of you that have followed me for years know that I have always liked the heirloom variety " Healey's Pride " and while it is a great old variety it tends to struggle in Tennessee with all the rainfall we get. It wants to crack and split and rot after heavy rains. So we switched to "Minnesota Midget" because it makes a smaller almost individual melon really perfect for 2 people. It is easy to tell when ripe because it changes color and slips easily from the vine. And best of all even in the rainy few weeks we have had there has been no cracking. So we have saved lots of seeds and will definitely be planting it again. 


That is a pint jar behind the half melon


  Perfect size for 2


So as August winds down and September comes in we are right on schedule garden wise. Soon we will be raking leaves and carving pumpkins but for now we are winding down the garden. Saving seeds for the coming year and giving thanks for all that we have already preserved. At the end of August we continue to social distance and rarely leave the property. When we do venture out and about always with a mask and hand sanitizer at ready. I am starting to look forward to wrapping up my canning for the year and resting over the winter with my knitting and quilting. Another garden year gone by  a wet and rainy one with lots of bugs and issues. But through it all we have persevered and have plenty for the upcoming winter and beyond. 

It is such a good feeling knowing that no matter what the supply chain or grocery stores do we are prepared and can simply close the doors and eat well. 

I wish for you all that same feeling of peace and plenty.

See ya at the back fence! 


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

2 comments:

  1. You have been busy, I am working on grape juice today, have peppers in the dryer and tomatoes ready to pick. Have some huge squash, hubbard, banana, and butternut, that I will pick in October. We are having a bit of a cool down, but hot again by the weekend. Stay safe and take care of yourselves. I too am looking forward to winter and a slower pace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had some damp spells here in the Pacific Northwest as well, so today was gathering all the pumpkins, Hubbard, Sweetmeat and Acorn squashes and pulling the vines. I'm picking the last of the green beans for canning - there might be enough for a few dinners of fresh in the next week or two but that's about it. Still have to pull the beets and finish them up. Potatoes, onions and carrots are all put away. Our first year for growing leeks and we LOVE them! I, too, am SO looking forward to long hours of crafting & quilting...cooking comforting foods for the family. SO nice to 'hear' from a kindred spirit - seems like we are all too few in the current days! Take care and God bless! Pam

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails