Monday, August 10, 2020

A Day Off

 


Lord have mercy I am tired! I finally finished the last of the green beans yesterday. I went out and pulled up them plants quick and threw in the chicken yard before they could bloom again. There are jars all over my house waiting to be put up. Not today though because I am taking the day off. 

I canned ground beef the day before yesterday. I think or maybe the day before that. Lol

The dehydrator has been going pretty steady these days.


I wanted to show everyone how I freeze my yellow squash. I take a potato masher to them and freeze in small square container then put in vacuum bags. I use this to make a cream of squash soup with onions and garlic, butter, chicken broth and heavy cream. I also make a casserole with it like this. 


These days of plenty are daunting as I watch the arm loads of food come in several times a day. Something always seems to need picking. 


My kosher dills have fermented and now I have two half gallons of vegetable pickles fermenting. We seem to like fermenting our pickles so much better. For the small amount of pickles we eat between the two of us this is enough to last for months in the refrigerator. 

I hope you all are also experiencing such abundance. And I am off to start some laundry and maybe read some. It is raining today so maybe curl up and take an afternoon nap. 

See ya over the back fence!



Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter


16 comments:

  1. Hello!! You mentioned that you canned hamburger. Can I get the directions for doing that? Thank you! And have a restful day...you certainly deserve it! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Sister, on the afternoon nap!! I’m cooking down my second batch of peach butter and about ready to can it. Have enough okra now to pickle some. Thankful for my library app on the iPad so I can listen to books as I work. Keeps me awake...LOL!!! My Garden Guy told me this morning my Jade beans are loaded with new blossoms. Guess I’ll be canning more of those and be thankful for them. I so appreciate your blog. Enjoy your rainy day that hopefully includes a nap!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listen to my library app when I snap beans and shell beans. Love it. Got my nap for almost 3 hours I must have been tired.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like you were running your clock down! Good to get in a nap...one of life’s little treasures!! Back to canning beans today.. Do you grow any pole beans and, if so, what kind? Thanks!!

      Delete
    3. In the past I have grown Christmas Limas and an heirloom bean called a peanut bean given to me by a neighbor. Rarely do I grow pole beans though.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! My garden is keeping me busy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You deserve a break! :) Would you share the recipes for canning ground beef and fermented vegetables? Have a restful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so please you're blogging again. Sometimes it seems like all the 'old souls' are gone and then, here we are...kindred spirits! I'm sitting down for a brief break before I go back outside and feed & water rabbits & chickens. Grandbabies were here earlier and 'helped' make pesto from our daughter's basil - 15 pints! We're eating broiled pesto, tomato & mozzarella on sourdough toast for lunch. Picked the cukes again, need to pick green beans....and carrots.....Maybe I'll take a nap first, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have to pick my basil. O Wise One brought in a whole bucket of cucumbers. Okra will have to be picked tomorrow also. But I did enjoy my day off and my nap!

      Delete
  6. Yes, this is the time of year our gardens keep us busy! Would you please share your recipe for fermented veggies?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that is very interesting the way you do your yellow squash! I am going to try that one. I look forward to your recipes for canning hamburger and the fermented veggies. I have beans to pick. But a nap sounds wonderful. And a three hour nap sounds like heaven. You must have been tired!

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got a nap, I fell asleep in my chair for abt 10 minutes, waiting on apples. Made 40 pints of applesauce and have two crockpots full of apple butter. All from 2 bushels of free apples. Had a granddaughter helping me some. Still have one more batch to process. A long day. But such a good feeling when it is all done. My tomatoes are slow, but lots of them green. I am expermenting with drying some extra cucumbers to use for dipping....we will see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great harvest! Canning is a lot of work and I know you deserve a day off!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails