Thursday, June 18, 2020

Winter Projects




Remember when we were in school and had to write paper in the fall on what you did last summer. Well this was my winter project. This house was built in 1984 and these cabinets are original. Custom built oak cabinets. Bottom line I cannot replace them with solid hardwood cabinets of equal quality or workmanship. So what do you do. I had a choice of painting them or refinishing. 



I chose to strip and refinish. I spent the winter sitting at my dining room table staining and refinishing the top doors and frames. Good Lord this is time consuming but they came out beautiful. I went with a golden pecan stain and a semi gloss polyurethane. New updated hinges and pulls and the top is done.  





What do you think? I know painted cabinets are in style right now but I am somewhat partial to wood. I think beautiful wood well maintained is timeless.



Oh my Lord I stripped 36 years of grease and grime off those cabinets. It lightened them so much. And spent hours sanding.




Then I did the same to all the bottom doors and the drawers as well. I painted all the insides of the cabinets a bright white with a good high gloss scrubbable paint the O Wise One bought a good heavy linoleum and covered all the cabinet shelves and bottoms with it. All I have to do is literally wipe these cabinets out to maintain and clean them. 

As you can see from the picture above I still have the frames to do on the bottom and all the cabinets will be done. I hope to catch up this summer and complete them so I can put the doors back on.  Then new counter tops and back splash. Keeping everything very white and light because of the darker wood. 



I also refinished and added this to my little bathroom along with a vessel sink.

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to see you posting again. love love love from Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine the hours of work and how tedious it must have felt at times. But I think they came out beautifully! I am sure you will be the Happiest Camper when this job is completely finished.

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work! I would never be brave enough to tackle something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on those cabinets! They look great!
    Melissa in MI

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails