Monday, June 22, 2020

This Life Of Toil



We finally got some much needed rain over the weekend. With a cool and rainy spring the weeds are always in abundance. No matter how much I mulch there always seem to be some really tenacious ones that thrive.  But the temperatures lately have turned hot and the rain was getting scarce.  Morning chores in the the cool temperatures of early morning include weeding regularly. Rarely am I out and about without my faithful hoe and wheel barrow. I finally retired the old wheel barrow I had on the farm for a brand spanking new one. With two wheels in front it is much harder to tip it over. The old one has graduated to a flower pot with pretty spring annuals and herbs in it. Can you believe I got 20 years from it. Nothing goes to waste though and I'll get a few more as a flower pot. I'll have to remember to take pictures of it. 


The spring peas are gone now. We got four pickings from  a St. Patrick's Day planting. They are now securely bagged and in the freezer. And in their boxes a new crop of green beans planted. This rain should pop them on up. 



The day lillies are enjoying the sunshine and warm temperatures.



I started out with one clump of these yellow lilies that were left behind by the last owners.


But this pink one is my absolute favorite found struggling behind a scraggly shrub when we first moved here. 


Knock out roses that Baby O bought me for Mother's Day one year.


The elderberries are flourishing and the local pollinators are loving them.


And the simple loveliness of the old fashioned heirloom petunias.



Chairs are strategically placed in shady spots all over the property for old people to sit and catch their breath. Baby O bought me 6 of these for Mother's Day this year. They sure are nice. She truly does spoil me

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

9 comments:

  1. I bought a dump wagon to replace the wheel barrel about 5 yrs ago. Doesn't carry as much but now in my 60s I am glad. Our peas didn't make... Hope I get to plant some this fall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been looking at a dump wagon. You will have to let me know what kind you got and if you like the brand.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your hoe leaning against your new wheel barrow. I have one that looks like it. I can't remember where I got it. I think I ordered it from somewhere but it is the best hoe I have ever used. Enjoy your wheel barrow. I love ACE products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the only kind of hoe I will use. Have had one like that for over 30 years. They re the best, my first I ordered online from Lehman's years ago.

      Delete
  4. That pink Day Lily is gorgeous. I'm glad you found it and got it out where it can shine.

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those colors gorgeous. I found it hiding behind an overgrown Forsythia bush and separated it and moved. It has done wonderful and I plan to separate them again probably this fall.

      Delete
  5. My garden looks like a forest after the rain -- and we're still getting some in east Tennessee. We picked our first ripe tomato of the season on Father's Day. I've never had a ripe tomato before July 4, so it was exciting! All those quarantine nights of covering up my plants for frost paid off.

    PS. It's nice to hear about Baby O! What is she up to these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby O just returned from an 18 month stint in Portland where she was doing computer coding for a big tech firm. She returned South when her contract was up. She did not care for the culture. She is now living and working in Tennessee as a software analyst in the next town over and contemplating her next move. She is actually working from home until further notice due to the virus. Sassy and independent as ever. No husband yet but she is still young. Just 24.

      Delete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails