Saturday, May 30, 2020

Helping Those Less Fortunate




Years ago when I started this blog I was a crocheter. My mother was a crocheter. All of my life I have wanted to knit. Knitting was one of those skills that I wanted to learn before it was too late. Last winter I sat down with a couple library books and some yarn and a whole lot of Youtube videos and taught myself to knit. In my spare moments waiting for supper to cook or while watching tv at night I slowly mastered the skills of knitting. I started with baby clothes which I am boxing up this week to send to a charity called Newborns in Need. 


While mastering a new and very useful skill I am hoping that I will also help those in my community that need a helping hand. The smallest and most vulnerable among us. From what I understand these items will go to women's shelters for those battered women that have young newborns, they will go to hospitals along with other supplies in bags for those who cannot maybe afford warm items for their newborns. They will go to babies who have lost their homes and clothing to disasters such as fire and flood. It warms my old heart to know that I can warm them. 



As I fold and pack these items I think of all those little faces. I think of all my own babies grown long ago. All once so angelic. I can almost smell that baby smell.


I love the softness of the yarn.



I love the soft pastel colors.



















As I pack up my box it feels good to know that even at my age I can still contribute. I can still lend a helping hand to those less fortunate. And yes that I can still learn new things and sharpen old skills. There are images floating in my mind of cold winter days curled up in front of my fireplace with a beautiful yarn and all the things I would like to create. May God Bless me with many years to create and the health to enjoy it.


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter


7 comments:

  1. I have been knitting since about 1970, CQ. Enjoy! Your work is beautiful, full of prayers and love for the babes that will receive them. Thank you for the inspiration. I will echo Linda. Amen.

    Fern

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything knitted. I can almost reach out and feel the softness of all the little outfits. What a blessing you will be in so many lives. May Gold bless you and all the ones that will be receiving them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a totally wonderful thing!!!! Learn a new craft/skill and use it to help those in need. Your little outfits look so soft and cuddly! God bless you for striving to help others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful all those sets are! Like you, I know how to crochet, but have not learned to knit. I think this Winter I shall follow you and teach myself to knit. I'll start out with some scarves first. Or maybe a lap blanket. You may notice I am going for the easy stuff! ;-)

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene I have to admit that the very first thing I knitted was a simple little blanket. I then worked myself up to sweaters,booties and hats. Next I think I want to tackle adult socks and slippers. Blessings

      Delete
  5. Your knitting is beautiful. What a wonderful blessing these items will be.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails