Thursday, October 17, 2013

Stir Fry


With fresh vegetable plentiful a stir fry for me is an easy meal. I always have chicken breast, turkey breast, pork and even venison in the freezer that can be pulled out and quickly thawed and sliced thin. On this day it is Bok Choy fresh from the garden and a couple chicken breasts.  To be real honest every stir fry is different depending on the vegetables I have and the meat I use. I sliced my chicken breast thin and put it in a bowl of soy sauce to marinate for an hour or so.  

Now mix the sauce below.....

Then you are ready to stir fry.


 I simply washed and sliced my Bok Choy in about 1 inch slices. 


I use some of the youngest most tender leaves too.  


With that some fresh onions and peppers from the garden


I heated some oil in my pot and cooked my marinated thinly sliced chicken breast. Just until done, it doesn't take long. When I cook the meat I cook it just s few pieces at a time and then move it to the edge of the pot off the heat and then add a couple more pieces to keep from cooling the pot down. You want your pot to stay good and hot.  Once the meat is cooked I added the onions and peppers and cooked just until  lightly cooked but still crisp. Then move them over to the side of the pan too.   


Next I added the Bok Choy and cooked the same way. once the Bok Choy was cooked I added a cup of fresh peas and a can of sliced mushrooms. Heat for about half a minute and combine all the meat and veggies.  Now you are ready to add your sauce to the pot. 


SAUCE

I started with a large 4 cup measuring cup and to it add:

1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 Table spoon minced garlic or garlic powder
1 Tablespoon powdered ginger
2 Tablespoons corn starch

Stir well! Now taste your sauce if it is too salty ( all soy sauces are different) add a little water until it is not. Sometimes you may need to add as much as half a cup but usually I add about 1/4 cup. 
Now stir well and taste again. Set aside until ready to add sauce. 

( If I am making beef (venison) and broccoli I use beef broth instead of chicken, add more garlic) 

Now while your pan is good and hot add the sauce and stir until it boils and thickens.  As soon as your sauce thickens your stir fry is done. Turn off your pan and serve with fried rice.  





Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter


7 comments:

  1. Your meal looks delicious. I bought some bok chow yesterday and now I have a recipe to try. Always great to read what's happening in the holler. Growing season is over in the north with a snow rain mix Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a comment and it didn't go thru. Hope this one makes it. I wanted to thank you so much for the recipe. Need to get some Boy Choy or I may use broccoli. Boy Choy is definitely on my list of things to plant this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the recipe, it sounds great! On a different subject, what kind of winter squash do you grow? Thank you for all the information and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for recipe/pictures..Looks Yummy...

    You keep this up, and we all WILL be showing up at your door for supper .... courtesy of the new intercontinental time travel gizmo..grin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you make my mouth water!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CQ,

    I hope you don't mind, I want to borrow your stir fry recipe. This looks amazing, I haven't had dinner tonight (it's to late) but I will make this stir fry this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make stir fry pretty much the same way -- I usually add a drop or two of sesame oil to the sauce.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails