Saturday, July 13, 2013

Dail Farm Journal


Let the harvests begin! As in the past the summer bounty has started with O Wise One rising before sunrise and picking the green beans. Four five gallon buckets full!  Those wonderful Jade green beans have produced true to expectations. I have gotten several comments and emails from readers that are trying the variety this year at my recommendation and are also pleased. Nothing like a good crop from a reliable variety to make a gardener smile : )  
 

As I try to consistently trim and shape the basil plants I take the clippings and place them in my dehydrator or run them through the food processor with olive oil and freeze in small amounts. Today though I am dehydrating it and the smell of basil fills my house with a wonderful aroma!


As for the remainder of the weekend O Wise One and I can be found in our soft rocking chairs. A dishpan in our laps full of snap beans. A couple of good Netflix movies for the DVD player in the corner.  The scottie dogs lazing at our feet. The smell of drying basil surrounding us. The picture of tranquility on a hot summer weekend.

Got a load of jars in the dishwasher and the pressure cooker waiting on the stove. Such is life in Hickery Holler...

See ya on Monday

The Canned Quilter

7 comments:

  1. My girlfriend makes the best "dilly beans" ever! I can't wait to make them when our beans are ready! It's sounds like you'll be having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to make "dilly beans" all the time but when all the kids left home we just didn't eat very many so I quit since we both were watching our salt intake. I also don't make as much salsa as I used to.

      Delete
  2. I try very hard to keep stocked up on flour and other staples. Since we live in a rural area it isn't always convenient to go to the store. It just about broke my heart to see all those green beans you canned. We have to many woods around us to be able to grow what I'd like. My herb garden is about all that's doing anything this year. I've been doing a lot of dehydrating of anything I can get my hands on from the farmer's market and when we go to town to shop at Aldi. I was wondering if you get your coupons on-line and if there is a website that doesn't send you tons of junk mail (bad experience in the past). I really enjoy your e-mails. Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I don't use many coupons but I do use them on my staples. Flour, sugar etc...I usually just check coupons once a week or so at coupons. com and I buy the Sunday paper every Sunday. I am not a huge couponer either because I find alot of the coupons for pre packaged foods which we don't eat alot of. Every so often I will find coupons for canning supplies, paper products, printer paper and such.

      Delete
  3. Don't know if you've ever heard of this but when I pick my bushels of beans as I pick I snip the blossom end off with my nail and drop in the garden to decompose. When I come in one job is already done. I can quickly wash the beans and be ready to can.

    I use www.coupons.com..sign into site, click on the coupons you want and print. Never get anything else from them but an update when new coupons go up. Learned of this site on the 100 dollars a month blog. Since we don't buy much processed food I don't use a lot of coupons as most are for what I consider "junk food"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree on the junk food thing! great idea on picking beans too!

      Delete
  4. You are such a blessing. I love reading your daily posts! Will be anxiously awaiting posts on zucchini. I have it coming out of my ears and bet you do too. Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy day to share glimpses of your lovely life.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails