Monday, July 29, 2013

Blessed Rain


We have already had a full morning this morning getting up to dark skies and rain in the air. We rush around trying to get everything fed and watered before the rain comes. Yesterday evening we planted more squash, turnips, beans and lettuce knowing that they were predicting rain for the next several days and we wanted to take advantage of the additional moisture. I am not sure if we are still in a drought but I do know that we are really dry right now. But normally July and August are our driest months. When everything is dry like this it seems that when the rain does come that the earth just breathes a sigh of relief.


As for me I think Paula the chicken, Gypsy and Riley the scottie dogs and myself are gonna bake some zucchini bread to freeze. Lots of walnuts and raisins and the smell of cinnamon on a rainy day sounds heavenly. Maybe some chicken gumbo for supper. I have lots of housekeeping to catch up on since I spent last week canning. I know that if we get lots of rain I will be hip deep in vegetables in a few days.

Hope everyone else out there is getting rain that needs it also!

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter



6 comments:

  1. I came across some in the freezer. I might make some zuchinni bread today as well. I had today reserved to get some more lima beans, horticulture beans, peas, lettuce and carrots in the ground. Not sure if the rain will let me or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got some rain, this will help with your recently planted seeds.
    Yum, zucchini bread. Sounds delicious with the nuts, raisins, and cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for the rain! Glad you get to spend the rainy day doing something that you like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It rarely rains in Central Wyoming, where we are located. We have to water to have a really nice garden and we're thankful for the sprinkler system. It comes at a cost, but the fresh food is worth it.

    We do miss the rains of Kansas and Missouri. My husband and I both grew up in Lawrence, KS, and always loved the rain. We lived in both Kansas and Missouri, after returning State Side, before moving to Wyoming 34 years ago. Wyoming doesn't even have the snow it used to now; fortunately, the mountains had alot of snow this year so that has helped.

    The zucchini bread looks delicious. We've gone gluten free and it's much harder, for me, someone who loves to bake to wander into the kitchen and just bake up a pan of zucchini or banana bread. I used to freeze many loaves and it's always nice to have it already baked.

    Our peppers are prolific this year, as are the tomatoes and green beans, however, our cucumbers are very slow. Some years are like that :).

    Enjoy the rainy day; they are always so comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We got almost 2" here in so. central MO. This has been our best garden season in a long time. Guess we just had to buy an irrigation system to get it to rain!!!! Here it is our 47th anniversary and we are canning carrots...actually we enjoy working together stocking up for ourselves and our grown sons ,too. Yours is the first blog I read each morning. Love your garden pictures. we have 120 acres here. Busy with fall planting. Never tried turnips before---from the north is our excuse--but have them in. Tomatoes are huge this year...blister beetles are horrid as usual but DE seems totake control of the little monsters. DEE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blessed rain here today, too, in Michigan - the long, slow, all day soaker that we needed!

    I can almost smell your zucchini bread from here ;)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails