Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Gentleman's Choice




I would like to wish all my readers a 

Happy Valentines Day! 

O Wise One and I tend do do holidays a little different than most people, often times completely boycotting those commercial holiday traditions . We are not big on the prices they charge during these holidays for things like chocolate and candy and even cards. If I get flowers I want them in the form of a bush, plant or seeds and I will grow my own for years to come from one initial purchase. Often times we will do something special together or maybe make a special meal for the other and get a movie that we both want to see,  we have been known to completely forego gifts until we find something that we really want maybe even at a later date. We will buy a little candy or something for the grandbabies though. 


This year for his Valentines meal O Wise One wanted fried food. You see 6 years ago he had a heart attack and had to have two stints put in. His family has a horrible history of heart attack and stroke. So for us fried food is a treat the we get a couple times a year. Fried chicken for maybe father's day or his birthday. Fried fish for the 4th of July. Other times we either oven fry,  bake or grill most meats.  Our french fries are now oven fries and even our fish are oven fried most of the time or grilled. So it came as no surprise that O Wise One wanted fried rabbit for Valentines Day. We knew we would be babysitting Hank on Valentines Day so we did our Valentines meal a day early. 



I took rabbit loin strips and soaked them for a couple hours in a cup of buttermilk and half a cup of homemade Italian dressing. Then they were taken out and dredged in flour and fried until golden brown.


 And there you go fried rabbit nuggets. Some oven fries and an apple pie with vanilla ice cream over the top and we had a meal fit for a holiday. 

As for my present I am researching additional wine making supplies and equipment. The next time I have an abundance of fruit I want to be ready. So I took a rain check and will continue to research what I need to order.    


After all we've been in a drought and Mama aint made no hooch in awhile!


You've just not lived till you've had some Hickery Holler Hooch
  and maybe some fried rabbit: )

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter


8 comments:

  1. Happy Valentines Day. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What ever makes you happy that's what counts ! Papa and I do a little card or note on this day but every day it is the little things that count ! Happy Valentines Day !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never eaten rabbit, but that looks so good. So does the hooch.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have told Rob to forget the rose and chocolates and buy me some peach trees instead:)) Love and hugs, Momma Hooch!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That rabbit looks delicious! And, I'll bet the Peach Hooch is divine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You SOOooo need to share the receipe for the Peach wine!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. CQ,

    Happy Valentine's Day to You and O'Wise One!

    The Rabbit and Hooch sound and look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We planted 3 apple trees and a pear tree.
    Happy Valentines day to both of you, too! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails