Friday, August 3, 2012

Daily Farm Journal


Friday August 3, 2012


I haven't done a daily farm journal lately so thought I would. It has been really busy on the farm with harvesting, watering, and daily canning on top of the usual chores. We did get the pigs wormed this week and the goats in a temporary pen out in a weed patch. They are growing and seem to really be taming down and getting used to everyone. O Wise One and I continue to work on the new goat enclosure for them right off the chicken house. We try to work on it a little everyday in between everything else.

Dug potatoes yesterday in the new garden so today I am canning new potatoes and a batch of tomato sauce. We still have to harvest the potatoes in the old garden under the straw. O Wise One picks a 5 gallon bucket of peas daily and I shell them at night while watching TV. Then they go out to dry in the sun the next day. We should have plenty of dried peas for either eating or planting next year. Also drying dill seeds and bok choy seeds.

O Wise One disked down the field peas planted with the potatoes and incorporated them into the soil. Got the turnips and fall cucumbers planted last week along with a couple rows of horticulture beans. Still harvesting squash, okra, tomatoes, potatoes and cucumbers.  We pull about a 5 gallon bucket of corn everyday for the chickens, turkeys and pigs. 

Really hot today! I think they are predicting in the 100's. Rain chance tonight and tomorrow with maybe a little cooler temperatures next week.  We filled up our propane tank. A summer fill cost us 98 cents a gallon. We know once winter starts it will double in price. A fill up usually lasts us through most of the winter unless it is really severe. Last year we only used 250 gallons all year. That was with a mild winter though. Lots of insulation in this house has really paid off : )

Yesterday we also got great news that we are going to be grandparents again in April. Looking forward to grandchild number 4.


Hope everyone stays cool and has a great weekend.

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter  


2 comments:

  1. May I say a Big THANK YOU. So much has been learned from these sort of posts. I am most greatful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on grandbaby #4 what a blessing. Praying for rain for your Holler.have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails