Thursday, April 12, 2012

This Weeks Bloomers


It's the middle of March. The fruit trees are pretty well out of bloom now and the tulips and daffodils are fading fast.  The Spirea or "Bridal Wreath" as my mother used to call it is blooming here in zone 5A in Northern Missouri. Planted below my Spirea is creeping Phlox. This is actually phlox that once belonged to my long deceased mother in law. Another of those pass along plants passed over the garden gate.


Also blooming is the first of the roses. My tricolor Knockout Rose.I have an entire hedge of these going up my sidewalk. They stay small and are very well behaved. 


You can see them on the right in this picture along the edge of the steps. 



The Rugosa Roses are just starting to open their blooms as well. These roses belonged to my mother and have such a wonderful scent.


On the other side of the steps just starting to flower are the cheddar pinks. As you walk along the steps the smell of cloves permeates the air. If it were just a bit warmer they would be covered with bees. This is the downfall of planting them near the sidewalk. But the smell is so worth it.  


The flowers are actually very tiny but there are just so many of them that it just looks like a cloud of pink floating on the rocks. The foliage has somewhat of a blue cast and stays green almost year round even here in zone 5. They love it growing on the stones and have been here for many years now.


Indeed a perennial worth growing.



What's blooming on your homestead?

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

3 comments:

  1. Only dandelions and clover.

    Beautiful pictures, CQ! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daffodils, rock cress, violets, and the phlox are just getting started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are extraordinary! The flowers are so vibrant. I sure miss my home in Missouri, I bet so many beautiful flowers are smiling brightly.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails