Monday, April 16, 2012

April Showers Bring ?


It has rained for 4 days here in Hickery Holler. We had just finished the mowing when it started. Thank God for small miracles because it usually starts in the middle of mowing and you have half of your yard unmowed and have to start again. The trees are all budding out and the landscape is lush. The green rolling hills always remind me of England and Ireland. All I need are some stone walls and a few sheep grazing...I'll get right on that.


The Spring Daffodils and tulips are pretty well gone now. Just the green leaves remain. I will wait until they start to brown and then braid the daffodils and let them cure.



With the rain also comes the asparagus now in full production. We have asparagus coming out of our ears and are cutting and freezing or canning it every other day. 



And the rhubarb seeming to grow right before my eyes.


And let us not forget those lovely little weeds popping up everywhere in the garden. It is way too soggy to walk on the soil so they will just have to wait until the soil dries out a bit before I tackle that project.


And of course April showers bring those flowers. Since the temperatures have cooled down a bit and back closer to seasonal norms they have slowed down on their blooming just a bit. We are averaging now daytime temperatures in the high 60's and low 70' and nigh time temperatures in the 40's and 50's. That's a big change from the 80 degree temperatures of just a week or two ago. 


Of course all the local farmers are chomping at the bit to get in those fields.  


How about You? Did you get some of these April showers?

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

5 comments:

  1. April showers are definitely here; and the weeds came with it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely filled in that "?" with "weeds"! We got lots of tornadoes with our rain, too. But yes, everything is getting so green and the garden is doing wonderfully--rain makes my life so much easier during the growing season. We've been enjoying lots of asparagus, lettuce and radishes already. And, I agree--having travelled to both Ireland and England, I always am reminded of their beautiful lush country-sides when we get all this rain to make everything so green!

    ReplyDelete
  3. April showers bring "mud holes" don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rain is better than frost, but not if you can't get in the fields, I guess.
    Have a wonderful day, CQ! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We got those same April showers that came so fast and full that water was pouring over the tops of all the gutters at the same time as creating raging creeks at all the downspouts. I envy you all that gorgeous asparagus and rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails