Saturday, December 31, 2011

Why?


 This morning I watched the last sunrise of 2011. The last day or so has been spent doing those things that I do every year this time. Changing my smoke alarm batteries, cleaning out my email folder of old emails. Those end of the year chores that symbolize the cleaning out of old and the beginning of something new. This last year has been an interesting one with the beginning of teaching our daughter at home, the weekly 2 day babysitting of our toddler grandson and the usual madness of our farm life. As I cleaned out my email inbox I came across several emails that I had saved from various sources but all offering to stream my blog to other sites. Several of these emails categorized this blog as a survivalist blog. Needless to say I respectfully decline those offers just as I decline all outside advertising. To those who look at this as a survivalist blog I assure you that should the world fall apart that I would feed, care for and probably take in everyone that showed up at my door. Therefore I will probably perish with everyone else.

In the interim I will strive to live as I always have as frugally, self sustaining, organically and natural as possible. It reminds me of the late 90's when a friend of mine came over and we were having a discussion while picking over a row of green beans on a hot summer morning. Just two old neighbor ladies laughing and visiting over the green bean row. Y2K was looming and we laughed that all of a sudden the things that we normally used and purchased were sold out or hard to find because everyone was buying supplies for Y2K. We figured out that we didn't need any preparations because we lived that way everyday. If the water didn't run guess we'd have to use the old well again. If the electricity went out guess we'd drag out grandma's old lamps and the oil we kept for when the lights went out. We already had pantries that were well stocked and the jars and lids to preserve what we needed. Guess we need to air out all the quilts and chop plenty of wood but indeed this was nothing new for us two old farm wives. Well Y2K came and went and we picked up some great garage sale finds that next year. They say the world is ending in 2012 but again the larder is full and the lamp oil is waiting. The quilts are on the bed as they are every winter.  O Wise One and I just hold hands and love one another and pray alot. I guess maybe they are right and indeed we are survivors. And no matter what fad comes along we'll be right here on the farm working hard everyday, trying to live right and take care of ourselves, our family and this land. 

The other file of emails that I cleaned out was what I call my " WHY" file. Those emails I get wanting to know why I bake bread when it is cheap at the grocers.   Why I quilt when the stores are full of cheap blankets. Why I garden when it is cheaper at the the store. My philosophy is if I have to explain why then you will never understand. What this blog is about is not about surviving it is about enjoying. Trust me I am a terminal cancer survivor and if anyone understands fighting to survive I do. So for all my readers out there my wish for 2012 is that you enjoy what I have. That you all know the feeling of eating fresh corn standing in the middle of a garden still warm from the suns rays. With sweet corn juice and a stubborn silk or two stuck in your teeth. Smiling because you beat the coons to it this year. Or the joy of your grandson toddling along the sweet green pea row stuffing green peas in his shorts pocket. Or the taste of a ripe peach dripping off your chin and elbows. The tug of your line as a fish takes your worm. The thrill of watching eggs hatch and new life come forth. The taste of watermelon cooled in the creek. The satisfaction of sitting down to eat and knowing that everything on that table you grew on your own land with your own hands. Of picking up nuts under the trees that you planted. Or sleeping under quilts made by not only by your hands but the hands of the last 2 generations of women in your family. The smell of fresh baked bread or fresh mowed hay. Of walking land that is yours. Not the banks but yours. Land that you cleared and a home that you built. Humble as it may be. Livestock lovingly tended on that land living dignified existences. Well cared for and tended for the duration of their lives. And when their lives are taken for your own sustenance they are taken respectfully and humbly. 

Hickery Holler is not about surviving it is about enjoying and graciously thanking god everyday for the privilege to do so. Hickery Holler is a lifestyle!

So to all of you for 2012 I wish you love. The love of my heavenly father and the love of family. My hair is now gray and the flush of youth long gone from my body but when I am laid to rest they will say she has been loved. When I was sick with cancer I remember going through chemotherapy and laying in bed and being sick often. I would lay there and cry as I looked out the window overlooking my flower garden and watching the weeds slowly overtake my beloved plants. I awoke one day to see an old man on his hands and knees crawling around out there in my flowers pulling weeds. This is a man who has never flower gardened in his life. Much less pulled a weed out of one. And as he pulled you could see the tears flowing down his cheeks and knew he was praying for the life of his love. So for all of you I wish you all that kind of love. 

But most of all may you never have to ask me why!

Please have a safe and happy New Years Eve.

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter







        

11 comments:

  1. My wish is that I could find more blogs like yours that has commen sense, helpful information, with lots of love that comes through like yours.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    May you have a healthy new year & may God continue to bless you in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is much love at this site, thank you for sharing. Much love, laughter, and life for you and yours this new year. T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know your answers to the "why's", Momma Hooch; I know a taste of your fight to survive; I know your joy found in the simple things of life that Walmart can't sell, and I know your God. I love your wisdom, truth, and the pouring out of your heart in this post. If I were closer I'd hug you and tell you that I love you, too:)) You have been a blessing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad I found your blog. What a wonderful post. It is so refreshing to read a lifestyle and not an urgency to survive. I live this lifestyle also. May you have a happy and blessed New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have a wonderful and blessed New Year! You are truly an inspiration. I loved this post and the heart you put into it. I'm looking forward to meeting you some day ... on this side or the other. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog and look forward to each new post, you brought tears to my eyes with this one! We live a similiar lifestyle out of love for it and not the need and I never ask WHY??? If I could figure out to sigh my name and not anonymous to get my comments to post I would!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so look forward to your posts and love all your pictures. I feel you should do whatever you want whenever you want without explaining to someone who won't understand anyway. (But what a good idea - cleaning out emails) Wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year to you and your family! Here's to living the good life that other can not or will not understand! May the good Load bless you in 2012!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year, may all your dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year and God bless you all! You are my inspiration. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails